Using mail() for mass-mailing

Rohan Shenoy

Hi guyz,

I am aware that the mail() function is not suitable for sending mass mails.

I need to send an email to about 800 recipients.

Can I use the Cc or Bcc fields? If used, will the mail() function run 800 times or will the SMTP servers handle it?

Will recipients be able to see the Cc, Bcc addresses?

Thank you

-Rohan

http://uk3.php.net/function.mail

Scroll down for "Example #4 Sending HTML email" it gives a basic idea of using it but Google can give you loads of sample scripts.

CC = Carbon Copy (recipients will see this)

BCC = Blind Carbon Copy (Recipients don't see this)

You'd have to run a loop but I've no idea how the server will handle that many as it might time out.

Your ISP may also have something to say about large numbers of emails being sent and may take action against you - best check!

You're welcome!

I know some ISPs and web hosts can be very funny when it comes to mass emails and rightly so - everyone hates spam.

I've seen some web hosts limit the number of emails sent within a certain time. As I said - best check with them but they'll probably want to know what exactly it is you're doing and will monitor it.

@Yesideez: Actually, my problem is not spam, all emails are legitimate, but I am using a cheap shared hosting, so I always have to be careful about resource consumption. If nothing works, then I will install a SMPT server on my localhost and send mass mails directly from my PC ;)

@Blade280891: Oh yea....I had actually forgotten it. Thanks for reminding! ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.