Need help with MySQL query grouping

pressriot

Hello, first time poster here, looking for some Mysql query advice. I want to 'categorize' my results by a given column.

My table is something like

Menu

title

description

catid

The query I tried (several different ways) was essentially SELECT * FROM menu GROUP BY catid

The problem is, with this code it only outputs 1 result for each value in the CATID column. What i want it to do is show all of them.

Sorry, I don't know the exact terminology for everything which is probably what is causing my problems.

I need a query that will grab all the rows in the database and group the rows with identical values in the column named 'catid'.

Here is the code i am using.

$query = "SELECT * FROM menu GROUP BY catid";
   $result = mysql_query($query) or die('Error : ' . mysql_error());
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC);

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC))

{
    echo "<h3>{$row['category']} </h3>"."<p>{$row['title']} -" .
         "{$row['description']} <br />" .
         "Price : $"."{$row['price']} <br /><br /></p>";
}

This does basically what I want but it only shows one result per catid. I want to show everything in the table but still maintain this overal idea. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I had tried group_concat also and it still returns only one row. Maybe I am going about this the wrong way. Originally I was going to use a different query for each category.

SELECT * FROM menu WHERE catid=1

produces the results I want, but doing this query over and over for each row in the catid column seems wrong to me and there must be a better way?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.