Data array help

Imad

Hi guys,

I'm trying to grab data from a table in a database and make it into an array. I've achieved such, but the array is in this format using the explode function:

array( 
         [0] => word
         [1] => words
         [2] => etc
       );

How can I get it to an array like this:

array('word','words','etc');

Thanks in advanced.

I think you'll find that the two are synonymous.

All array entries have both a key and a value. The first format is that used when displaying an array using the print_r() function. The numeric parts [0], [1] and [2] are the keys for each entry.

The second display is how people typically define arrays in code, allowing PHP to autoallocate the keys for each entry, strating from 0 and incrementing by 1 for each additional entry.

Hi guys,

I'm trying to grab data from a table in a database and make it into an array. I've achieved such, but the array is in this format using the explode function:

array( 
         [0] => word
         [1] => words
         [2] => etc
       );

How can I get it to an array like this:

array('word','words','etc');

Thanks in advanced.

Those two arrays are identical.

An array is always a set of key/value pairs.

The keys can be numeric or associative.

If you don't explicitly set the keys, and just do: array('x', 'y', 'z') PHP assigns a key of 0 to x, a key of 1 to y, etc.

HTH

Thanks for your replies. The problem is that it won't work for my foreach statement. Here's a brief look at it:

foreach ($words as $word) {
      $lev = levenshtein($input, $word);

$words would be the array, if I have the array with the keys assigned, I get an error, without them, I don't. Any ideas why?

Best Regards.

I figured out a workaround. I basically grabbed the data from the database, and instead of using the explode function, I used the str_replace function and made it add an apostrophe, then a word then another apostrophe and a comma for each of the words. I then put the variable in an array, and viola, an array without specified keys.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Best Regards.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.