[SOLVED] JS not enabled

williamZanelli

Hi guys,

I've coded a website, which has alot of JS, as in when someone hovers over the image it expands in size, a caption etc appears.

I've realised that 3% of people from my analytics data) who come to my website, dont have JS enabled, what I want is to redirect these guys to a non-JS website,

Any ideas on how I go about this? Can someone please post some examples..?

Regards

Will

Just set the cookie with javascript with setcookie(); and then check if it exists like this:

<?
if (isset($_COOKIE['javascript'])) {
    //JS is enabled
} else {
   //JS is not enabled.. redirect.
}
?>

I'm gonna assume you know how to set a cookie with JS since you *did* code the website using JS. Otherwise you can just look it up or something.

Thanks for the reply guys,

But i;m still not 100% with your logic,

So say a new user (never accessed my website in his life) types in my URL, if the JS is enabled it sets the cookie, I then check in PHP if its enabled, if it is.. ok, otherwise redirect.

My point of question lies in that, does the JS get called before the PHP? I was always under the impression the PHP is called first, which would mean, when the check is carried out for a new user, the Cookie is never enabled?

Am I right?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

You're correct. I'd say in your situation best thing you could would be something like:

<noscript><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=non_js_page.php"><a href="non_js_page.php">Non-JS page...</a></noscript>

A

My point of question lies in that, does the JS get called before the PHP? I was always under the impression the PHP is called first, which would mean, when the check is carried out for a new user, the Cookie is never enabled?

On the first request set a session variable. Then check for the cookie.

You're correct. I'd say in your situation best thing you could would be something like:

<noscript><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=non_js_page.php"><a href="non_js_page.php">Non-JS page...</a></noscript>

A

That wouldn't be valid html. The meta tag is not allowed within the body and the noscript tag is not allowed within the head.

Personally I would just use a noscript tag with a link to the non js version.  If they have javascript disabled (not a search engine or some other type of bot) they most likely already understand that a lot of functionality from a lot of sites is going to be missing. What if they disable CSS? Do we have to support that as well?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.