PHP and mysql_query()

atholon

hey there,

So I have been using an older version of PHP and mySQL and I tried uploading my site to a server with PHP5 and the newest version of mySQL...it seems like the link isn't being carried over to the other pages unless I specify it. Is this just due to the php version?

I had just been using a config file for the default link and I've used that to determin the connection. On the actual server it won't let me.

interesting sometimes you need to put a / foward slash in front of the /diretory_file_name.php

<?php

include("/database_connection.php");

?>

no it not a php5 thing it a server config setting.

as you can see if you can include a file using the following method your need to also change all your link settings

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/digitalh/public_html/includes/GetUserInfo.php on line 14

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/digitalh/public_html/includes/MasterPage.php on line 21

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/digitalh/public_html/index.php on line 36

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/digitalh/public_html/index.php on line 37

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/digitalh/public_html/index.php on line 54

Thing is that they are valid....I checked them in SQL. I am not having issues with the require .... it works on my dev machine but not my webserver .

My site is www.digitalhelpfiles.com

When I do that in the config file nothing happens. When I do a die in these other files with the warnings, it says no database has been selected for those queries.

The query worked when I installed using my install script... but none of those other pages that are rendered together with my config.php file take it.

The way it is set up is like this:

index.php requires MasterPage

MasterPage requires site_common.php

SiteCommon requires many different pages...the first of which is the config.php

some of those pages are strictly classes as well.

GetUserInfo.php is required in site_common.php

GetUserInfo.php:

<?php
  class GetUserInfo
  {   
    var $permission;      
    function GetUserInfo($userName)
    {
      $baseQuery = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `staff` WHERE `name`='$userName'", $GLOBALS['connect']);

$getStaffInfo = mysql_fetch_array($baseQuery);
      $position = $getStaffInfo["position"];
      $getPosition = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `position` WHERE `sid`='$position'")); // Line with warning
      $this->permission = $getPosition["permission"];           
    }
  }
?>

Right...BUT....according to PHP documentation, you do not need to do that.

The MySQL connection. If the link identifier is not specified, the last link opened by mysql_connect() is assumed. If no such link is found, it will try to create one as if mysql_connect() was called with no arguments. If by chance no connection is found or established, an E_WARNING level error is generated.

Here is a little bit better version:

<?php
  class GetUserInfo
  {   
    var $permission;      
    function GetUserInfo($userName)
    {
      $this->permission = 0;
      if(isset($userName))
      {      
        $baseQuery = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `staff` WHERE `name`='$userName'") or die ("<br />Error in MySQL-query: ".mysql_error());
        if (mysql_num_rows($baseQuery) > 0)
        {
          $getStaffInfo = mysql_fetch_array($baseQuery);
          $position = $getStaffInfo["position"];
          $positionQuery = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `position` WHERE `sid`='$position'") or die ("<br />Error in MySQL-query: ".mysql_error());
          if (mysql_num_rows($positionQuery) > 0)
          {
            $getPosition = mysql_fetch_array($positionQuery);
            $this->permission = $getPosition["permission"]; 
          }  // End position query
        } // End check for staff query          
      }  // End check for user name    
    } // End GetUserInfo()
  } // End of class
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.