MySQL Help

savagenoob

OK, I have a client database (table name "clients")  that I need to insert multiple (unlimited) notes into with date and time stamps. I was thinking of the way to do this is to create a seperate table with a foreign key called "notes" but I don't know how to assign the notes entered to the specified client or link them together.

you would create 2 tables. first one with clients, second one with notes. in the one with clients you would have the client and the id. in the one with notes you would have a field with id, note, client id. Then when they enter a note link the table with the client id. here is an example

---clients---

id

client

---notes---

id

note

client_id

hopefully that makes sense to you.

OK, my JOIN statement worked. Now I have to figure out how to add a note from the following page. Here is the code.

<?php

mysql_connect("localhost","root","xxxxxx"); 

//select which database you want to edit
mysql_select_db("xxxxxx"); 

$ID = $_GET['ID'];

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM clients WHERE ID=$ID ");

$fields_num = mysql_num_fields($result);
echo "<h1>Client: {$table}</h1>";
echo "<table border='1'><tr>";// printing table headers
for($i=0; $i<$fields_num; $i++)
{
    $field = mysql_fetch_field($result);    
echo "<td>{$field->name}</td>";
}
echo "</tr>\n";// printing table rows
while($row = mysql_fetch_row($result))
{    
echo "<tr>";    // $row is array... foreach( .. ) puts every element    // of $row to $cell variable    
foreach($row as $cell)        
echo "<td>$cell</td>";    
echo "</tr>\n";
}
mysql_free_result($result);
$result = mysql_query("SELECT Note FROM notes JOIN clients ON notes.Client_ID = clients.ID");

$fields_num = mysql_num_fields($result);
echo "<table border='1'><tr>";// printing table headers
for($i=0; $i<$fields_num; $i++)
{
    $field = mysql_fetch_field($result);    
echo "<td>{$field->name}</td>";
}
echo "</tr>\n";// printing table rows
while($row = mysql_fetch_row($result))
{    
echo "<tr>";    // $row is array... foreach( .. ) puts every element    // of $row to $cell variable    
foreach($row as $cell)        
echo "<td>$cell</td>";    
echo "</tr>\n";
}
mysql_free_result($result);

?>

</body>
</html>

This is taking an ID from a form on another page so I don't know how to do an UPDATE on the notes table using a text field form with the displayed clients ID. I tried adding this but failed.

<?
mysql_connect("localhost","root","xxxxxxx"); 

mysql_select_db("xxxxxxx"); 
    $ID = $_GET['ID'];
$Note =  mysql_escape_string($_POST['comments']);
$today = date("F j, Y");

$result = mysql_query("INSERT INTO notes (Note, date, Client_ID) VALUES ('$Note', '$today', '$ID')"); 

?>

<form method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">
<textarea name="comments" cols="40" rows="5">
</textarea><br>
<input type="submit" value="Add Note" />
</form>

Anyone?

Ok, I decided to pass the ID of the client through a GET then assign it to a variable, but it still is not working. here is the code... I know for certain the GET is working, it is displaying the ID in the address field.

<?php
$ID = $_GET['ID'];
mysql_connect("localhost","root","xxxxxxxx"); 

mysql_select_db("xxxxxxx"); 

if(isset($_POST['save']))
{

$Note = $_POST['Notes'];
$today = date("F j, Y");

$result = mysql_query("INSERT INTO notes (Note, date, Client_ID) VALUES ('$Note', '$today', '$ID')");
echo "The note was successfully added."; 
}
?>

<form method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">
<table width="700" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" align="center">
<td width="100">Note</td>
<td><textarea name="Notes" cols="50" rows="10"></textarea></td>
</tr>
<tr> 
<td width="100"> </td>
<td> </td>
</tr>
<tr> 
<td colspan="2" align="center"><input name="save" type="submit" value="Add Note"></td>
</tr>
</table>
</form>

Someone? Anyone?

When you say that it is not working you need to tell us what is not working about it. Is it giving you an error or not passing a variable. Also by looking at your code it looks like you would need register_globals turned on. It is suggested to not use register_globals so a way around this is to assign the $_POST['save'] value as $save and then to do the if statement with the variable.

I know I am making this way more difficult than it has to be. I have it where it displays the client notes on seperate tables. I just want to add text area to add notes to the mysql table. The problem I am having is passing the ID to the mysql query since i have the notes table seperate from the clients table.

Sorry for the long snippets, I dont know where the problem is and there is not error coming up in the Apache error log. I know it has something to do with passing the variable. I didnt want to do the "add note" on a seperate page but it is the only way I can figure out how to pass the ID from the client table.

I think he wanted you to echo the query not the results

change this:

to this:

$query = "INSERT INTO notes (Note, date, Client_ID) VALUES ('$Note','$today','$ID')";
$result = mysql_query($query);

then you can just do this:

echo $query;

Oh duh, idiot I am.... here it is...

INSERT INTO notes (Note, date, Client_ID) VALUES ('Deleted a vehicle','December 22, 2008','')

I will figure out that date part but that part is working for now. So I see the $ID variable is not passing into the query and I tried echo'ing $ID and nothing displayed so Im not sure the $ID = $_GET['ID']; is working. The id is still displaying on the address though so I don't know whats going on.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.