[SOLVED] CONCAT and JOIN

Ansel_Tk1

Hi - wondering if someone out there can help?

Can CONCAT be used before JOIN to define the the two fields to be combined?

Here is what I have so far:

SELECT CONCAT(boomcms_mstlst_sections.section_id, ' ', boomcms_content_articles.smm_ct_title) AS smm_ct_titlewd FROM boomcms_content_articles, boomcms_mstlst_sections LEFT JOIN boomcms_mstlst_sections ON boomcms_mstlst_sections.section_id=boomcms_content_articles.section_name)

and I get the error

Not unique table/alias: 'boomcms_mstlst_sections'

Any help would be really appreciated.

you are using the short hand AND the long hand version of a JOIN. basically, you are trying to join boomcms_mstlst_sections twice. try this:

SELECT CONCAT(boomcms_mstlst_sections.section_id, ' ', boomcms_content_articles.smm_ct_title) AS smm_ct_titlewd FROM boomcms_content_articles LEFT JOIN boomcms_mstlst_sections ON boomcms_mstlst_sections.section_id=boomcms_content_articles.section_name)

also...aliases make your code much easier to read:

SELECT CONCAT(s.section_id, ' ',a.smm_ct_title) AS smm_ct_titlewd FROM boomcms_content_articles a LEFT JOIN boomcms_mstlst_sections s ON a.section_name = s.section_id)

Just one question - is CONCAT exclusive of all other fields in the table when it is used?

i.e. does:

SELECT CONCAT(boomcms_mstlst_sections.section_name, ' ', boomcms_content_articles.smm_ct_title) AS smm_ct_titlewd

only select boomcms_mstlst_sections.section_name and boomcms_content_articles.smm_ct_title within those two tables and ignores all other fields in both tables within the query?

I ask because I need to also obtain the field boomcms_content_articles.smm_ct_article_id however I think (maybe I am wrong?) since it is not within the CONCAT it is not selected? I don't want boomcms_content_articles.smm_ct_article_id to be added to the CONCAT though.

Can CONCAT be combined with SELECT * somehow? I've been searching on the mySQL commands documentation but am having trouble locating a reference of combining the two.

Thank you so much for any help.

Dan

yeah, you can add it to the list of things selected:

SELECT CONCAT(boomcms_mstlst_sections.section_name, ' ', boomcms_content_articles.smm_ct_title) AS smm_ct_titlewd, boomcms_content_articles.smm_ct_article_id

or you can do a *:

SELECT CONCAT(boomcms_mstlst_sections.section_name, ' ', boomcms_content_articles.smm_ct_title) AS smm_ct_titlewd, *

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.