Sitemaps

seksislav

Hello,

I've got a question about sitemaps. So i'm running something like a blog forum site. My questions is when I wanna add my sitemap in google what am i suppose to include in the sitemap? Only the categories of the forum or all categories + articles and everything? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually excluded some directories containing graphics for site layout and such... I did it just after I spoiled sites of two other people who were hotlinking these from me. I guess they were quite unhappy when they saw my userbar averywhere on their sites :P

Do the following...(I include instructions to Google webmaster incase you're not aware)

• Goto this online sitemap generating tool and follow the simple onscreen instructions. It will auto generate a sitemap.xml file of your site for you.
  • Save this sitemap.xml file to say the root of your site on the server.
  • Then goto Google's webmaster's tool screen (you will need to have an account..if you have a gmail acocunt, you can use this, otherwise simply register with them, its free afterall). Then it will ask you to enter your site (it will generate a meta tag and ask you to insert this meta tag within your header to prove that you are infact the owner of the site you are submitting.. once it's all verified, there should be a link on the dashboard called 'submit sitemap' or something like that.. go from there with the instructions
  • Finally (and I'm not sure if this is absolutely necessary or not), open your robots.txt file if you have one (if not, simply create a new text file call robots.txt, which is also saved to the root of your site), and type in 'Sitemap: http://www.yoursite.com/sitemap.xml' (obvisouly, use your real site's name instead of yoursite.com)

Voila!

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.