[SOLVED] Further problems with preg_match..

Adam

Continuing my last topic which I frst thought was solved (http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,231586.0.html) .. I have a new problem, with the expression:

\[pre\].+?\[\/pre\]

With preg_replace it replaces all occurences of the matched string, but preg_match only seems to match the first?

$str = '[tag]This should be replaced with ::tag:: and added to $matches[/tag] .. [tag]So should this![/tag] But this shouldn\'t!';

preg_match('#\[tag\].+?\[\/tag\]#', $str, $matches);
$str = preg_replace('#\[tag\].+?\[\/tag\]#', '::tag::', $str);

print 'After preg_replace: ' . $str . '<br />Matches from preg_match:<pre>';
print_r($matches);
print '</pre><br /><br />';

That will return something like:

After preg_replace: ::tag:: .. ::tag:: But this shouldn't!

Matches from preg_match:

Array

(

[0] => [tag]This should be replaced with ::tag:: and added to $matches[/tag]

)

I'm stuck ??? Anyone?

Cheers!

A

Hah of course, I even knew that function existed just never thought about it. Though reading the PHP manual, it doesn't make it particularly clear that it only returns the first result. Ah well, sorted now thanks a lot!

A

From the manual:

Return Values

preg_match() returns the number of times pattern matches. That will be either 0 times (no match) or 1 time because preg_match() will stop searching after the first match. preg_match_all() on the contrary will continue until it reaches the end of subject . preg_match() returns FALSE if an error occurred.

Dunno how much clearer you expect them to be....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.