move up or down records

s.mujtaba

Basically you're going to UPDATE the `id` of the entry above or below (depending on the way you move said entry) as well as the `id` of the selected entry. You won't physically move the records in the database, but you'll "reorder" them.

Okay, first of all, I'd suggest reading the latest PHPFreaks tutorial.  It's called "Custom List Order" or something like that.  It explains this better than I can in a little post, so go check it out.

Anyway, the basic concept is simple.  You have a position column in your database, which in order to move something down, you just flip positions with the row below it, and to move up, you just switch positions with the row below it.

+----+--------------------+----------+
| id | name               | position |
|  1 | DarkWater          |        1 | 
|  2 | Bill Gates         |        2 | 
|  3 | Some random person |        3 | 
|  4 | Your Mother        |        4 | 

Okay.  Now, if I wanted Bill Gates to be first, I could just flip position numbers with the one above it.

| id | name               | position |
|  1 | DarkWater          |        2 | 
|  2 | Bill Gates         |        1 | 
|  3 | Some random person |        3 | 
|  4 | Your Mother        |        4 | 

And when you do a SELECT, do it based on the position column.  The tutorial covers it MUCH more in depth than I did.  Good luck getting this to run smoothly; sometimes it's tricky.

*facepalm*

So you code PHP to flip the IDs when you press a hyperlink.  We are not going to do this for you, we're just going to help.  I gave you a major stepping stone, and I really, really hoped you could apply it to your needs.  Read the tutorial.

Why? I'm making a script and I need it  :( :(

Okay, so learn how to do it.  There's plenty of references.  If you really need it done and you can't be bothered to put some time in to learn the concept (which is not that difficult once you get it), go to the Freelance forum and pay someone to do it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.