attempt at not using tables on website

jonndoe45

Hi,

I am new on here, so if I make a faux pas, please forgive me!

Can some kind person have a look at my web site: http://www.thaiwife.org

I have just launched this web site, it's a non profit web site and this is my first attempt at not using tables in layout, and yes it gave me a headache.

Written in PHP with a little bit of javascript in places.

One thing I would like to ask is for SEO is the use of numeric urls for the profiles ok or will it downgrade the site in the rankings, thanks.

I have tested the web site in Opera v9, IE 6, IE7 and Firefox (latest)

I have a slight problem with the CSS for the profile layout, in hi res there is a gap between the profile pictures and the profile information. (if anyone has a solution to this I really would appreciate it)

Sorry, no test profile available.

The website is all my own work - EXCEPT for the menu system, which is pure CSS and is sourced from www.grc.com and is free , obviously the menu is generated in php :-), no templates where used in the website construction.

JD

That blue text is rather large.  I would reccomend using black text unless your are using a black background (then use only white text).  The Big Blue text looks really ... ugh.

I agree use 12px for text

You have alot of uneeded code at the end of you page

</span><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/></div></body></html>

You can easily fix this with css

Replace the above code with

</span><div class="bottom_space"></div></div></body></html>

And in your css file add

.bottom_space {

margin-bottom: 150px;

}

thanks for the feedback, i will imprement the css bit asap but at the moment stuck in an internet cafe and no net connection at home :( thats thailand for you lol.

one thing that is bugging me is i had to put in effect a javascrit workaround to a css problem (not sure if it is a bug), where the margin-left, margin-right auto thing doesn't seem to work, on either the ladies listing page or the profile page

i have put the auto margin in the root div (called mainpix) , not worked, so tried it on a content div witj just the auto margin and a width and still not worked so gave up and just used javascript to do a margin-left shift of the content

another question - sorry if wrong place, but being a newbie to javascript, the screen.width is an object so how do i store the numeric value in a var ?

thanks

JD

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.