Move Windows Websites to Linux

roadracer

I want to move some websites from Windows to Linux.  I currently host some sites on my own server with a static IP, I manage my own DNS through a 3rd party site, and manage my domains through a 3rd party site.  I'm comfortable with the Linux cli and the package install process, but I don't yet know web admin commands, what Windows files go where in the Linux directories, and how to do the basic configs required to publish the sites.

What is the procedure(s) for moving websites running on W2K3 IIS 6 to a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 server with the Apache/MySQL/PHP packages installed during the initial OS install?

Just make sure you have the same PHP version...MySQL..or anything else that you may have running on the Windows server.  Ubuntu makes it pretty easy to install the server and get the needed components.  Once they are installed you should be able to access your apache server via FTP.  But its been about a year since I set up Apache on Ubuntu.

The ubuntu community docs has a nice tutorial covering Apache Mysql and php - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

Thanks for the LAMP setup link.  It is an excellent how-to, but it doesn't explain how to migrate existing IIS websites over to Apache on Linux.  I am reluctant to just start copying the Windows html and other files from the IIS server to what I believe to be the Linux equivalent directories on the LAMP server, as I wan tto do it correctly the first time.  I am hopeful that someone has already documented a similar migration...I just haven't found it yet.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.