[SOLVED] Using php 4... is that okay?

mtb211

Hi,

Basically im new to php ... ive read online you really should update to php 5 but I asked the guy that we run the server from and he refuses to update to php 5(says theres not a difference) is this total bs?

thanks

Matt

Basically im new to php ... ive read online you really should update to php 5 but I asked the guy that we run the server from and he refuses to update to php 5(says theres not a difference) is this total bs?

It's utter BS to say that there's not a difference between PHP 4 and PHP 5.

Take a look at the relevant section of the manual to see, paying particular attention to the section on Backward Incompatible Changes

From Gregory Szorc's blog

The differences between PHP 4 and PHP 5 are staggering. I consider them to be two separate languages.

There's also the trivially minor fact that PHP 5 is still supported, while PHP 4 is not.

there a big noticeable difference if you plan on going on to visit the world of php in Object Oriented detail.... :-P procedural code runs almost the same....with a some differences, and some removed and discontinues funtions and variables.

PS- Some hosts, like dreamhost, which i dont use, but a client of mine does, gives the user the option to use either 4 or 5....just some food for thought... :-)

ah so hes just being lazy I bet.... so its not vital that i update .... it would make everything easier... Im running plesk 7.4 and theres no auto update and people are telling me to contact my server admin.  thx for all the input guys

:)

This quote:

The differences between PHP 4 and PHP 5 are staggering. I consider them to be two separate languages.

Is shockingly inaccurate. The major changes were in PHP OO support.

That said, the PHP team stopped supporting PHP 4 over a year ago. It really is time to upgrade.

This quote:

Is shockingly inaccurate. The major changes were in PHP OO support.

True it's an exaggeration.... but my posting that quote from Gregory Szorc's blog was a response to the OP's server guy's comment

theres not a difference

which is the other extreme.

There's also some minor issues with register globals, although that behaviour can be modified with a php.ini setting; but general consensus is to use the superglobals $_GET, etc as more secure than relying on global

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.