double checking recieved values, good practice?

logansama

Good day gents and gentets!

I just wanted to ask the opinion of others on the following:

When recieveing values, usually through $_POST or $_GET one would determain if a value was actually received by doing a isset(..) on the value element or just the whole array. But would you aggree or disagree that it would be good practice to also have a empty(..) check on the same value?

I have had incidents where the value/variable etc received was set but happened to be empty.

I wonder if i should make it a required practice to always do both a isset() and empty()?

your input will be values! :)

Personally, i just do empty() if it needs to be a valid value since it checks whether is it set and if it has a true value.  If i just want to know if it is set then i just use isset(since it is slightly faster). Using both is pointless since empty() does the same thing as isset(), just does more than isset().

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.