Trimming Based on String, Not Characters

drath

I have searched around for this and haven't really found anything except for the substr() function which doesn't work in this situation. Basically I want to use the trim() function to trim out a string of "ABC", yet when I use a function like this:

trim($file, "ABC");

on for example:

"A TEST B TEST C"

It will result in " TEST TEST " because it is stripping the characters rather than a full string. Does anybody know a way to do this? Thanks!

Well, actually, it results in "TEST B TEST".  trim() actually just makes a character mask of the characters in the 2nd parameter and uses that to pull the left and right characters off and stuff.  What are you trying to do?  Remove a specific string from the end of a line?

Oh sorry, yes it would do that :P. Here is an example of the intended function using "ABC":

ABC_FILE
FILEABC
FI_ABC_LE

Would all turn into the following:

_FILE
FILE
FI__LE

Thanks again for replying/helping DarkWater.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.