Intranet: which php CMS should I use?

DimitriDV

Is sharepoint THE technology to use? Or are there alternatives? Is Joomla an option?

Sharepoint ("hueyyyy" <wipes spittle from side of mouth>)

You'll get a certain bias asking that type of question here. Is a proprietary MS solution that's expensive and only runs on one platform better than a free, cross-platform, open source solution.

The answer is "better for what?"

One subtle difference between a proprietary piece of software and open source?  You can make it do what ever you want without harsh consequences.  So if you know what you are doing in the programming landscape, then use Joomla for its interface and make it do what ever you want it to....maybe even something that sharepoint does not do.  Don't get me wrong - I have used sharepoint in the past and it is great, but there is something about making an open source project do exactly what you want it to do.

• 2 weeks later...

One subtle difference between a proprietary piece of software and open source?  You can make it do what ever you want without harsh consequences.  So if you know what you are doing in the programming landscape, then use Joomla for its interface and make it do what ever you want it to....maybe even something that sharepoint does not do.  Don't get me wrong - I have used sharepoint in the past and it is great, but there is something about making an open source project do exactly what you want it to do.

I second this opinion.  I find Joomla always capable of bending to my will with very little effort.

Commerical products "in general" have strict rules regarding what you do, or IF you can even do it.  They would generally like you to pay them to make it work the way you need it. ???

Go with Joomla, it rocks!  If you need help, just ask.

I'm a Drupal guy myself. But it comes with a steep learning curve.

Joomla does too.  I have three books on Joomla, tabbed, highlighted, and just about memorized.  There are so many joomla specific methods, it truly has evolved into a framework.  Although, most of the books are programmer specific info and how to build extensions and components.  To download, install, and use Joomla, books are not needed.  I'm sure Drupal has comparable books.

I like Joomla too. In comparison Drupal can probably do more out of the box but it is rare you'd need all Drupal can do anyway. Sharepoint on the other hand can easily be setup on AD for internal authentication.  That's not something I really looked for on Joomla or Drupal but since you mentioned using for an Intranet site it may be important. Look at all your integration points as well. Will this site interact with other internal systems? If so think about how easy it will be to do the integration. Come up with a list of requirements and build a decision matrix to help you make the best decision.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.