[SOLVED] What is wrong with this query??

studgate

I keep getting error message for this query:

SELECT COUNT(blogid) total, blogid, MONTHNAME(date) month, YEAR(date) year, date_format(date, '%m/%Y') dated FROM blog WHERE dated = $month

can anybody assist me in figure out what is the problem, please?

Explanation: I am trying to get archives for a little blog system that I am building, I want to check for a month like 01/2009 and find the post entries for that month.

thanks in advance!

#1) This should be in the MYSQL forum

#2) use mysql_error() next time to get the error, and show that error with your post next time

I think the problem is you need single quotes around $month:

SELECT COUNT(blogid) total, blogid, MONTHNAME(date) month, YEAR(date) year, date_format(date, '%m/%Y') dated FROM blog WHERE dated = $month

The problem probably may also stem from using 'date' as a column name. this is a reserved word in MySQL. i would recommend changing the name of that column. here is a list of reserved words: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/reserved-words.html

if you post the output of mysql_error() it will be a lot easier to diagnose the problem

Thanks rhodesa, but that's not the problem, the

date I am referring to in the query is date_posted

and added quotes to $month without success,

I keep getting an error and it seems that the result has wrong argument.

"SELECT COUNT(blogid) total, blogid, MONTHNAME(posted_date) month, YEAR(posted_date) year, date_format(posted_date, '%m/%Y') dated FROM blog WHERE dated = '$month' GROUP BY MONTH(posted_date), YEAR(posted_date)"

you code probably looks something like:

$sql = "SELECT COUNT(blogid) total, blogid, MONTHNAME(posted_date) month, YEAR(posted_date) year, date_format(posted_date, '%m/%Y') dated FROM blog WHERE dated = '$month' GROUP BY MONTH(posted_date), YEAR(posted_date)";
$result = mysql_query($sql);

add some error reporting so it looks like this:

$sql = "SELECT COUNT(blogid) total, blogid, MONTHNAME(posted_date) month, YEAR(posted_date) year, date_format(posted_date, '%m/%Y') dated FROM blog WHERE dated = '$month' GROUP BY MONTH(posted_date), YEAR(posted_date)";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die("Query Error: ".mysql_error());

and post what the error is

I figured it out, there was a problem with the WHERE statement,

apparently you can't use aliases in the where statement and that's why i kept getting

error messages.

Here is the correct query:

SELECT MONTHNAME(posted_date) as month, blogid, YEAR(posted_date) as year FROM blog WHERE date_format(posted_date, '%m/%Y') = '$month'

Thanks to all!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.