install apache 2.2 to windows workgroup

joebWI

I'm brand new to Apache and need some help and advice installing Apache 2.2.

What we have:

Cable Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Windows Server 2003 EE with SP2

Windows Workgroup: WG1.  Computer: BOX1.  Static local IP assigned.

IIS is runnning on port 80.

In the router, ports 80 and 8080 are forwared to this local IP address.

WINS in running on a different server.

No local DNS.

No active directory.

What our goals are:

To have Subversion running on this server where files can be updated and checked in while:

a. on the console of BOX1

b. on another computer on the local network

c. people working elsewhere using the Internet.

We are willing to use whatever url is necessary to make it work in the 3 different scenarios..i.e. localhost, BOX1, local IP or public IP.

Questions:

NOTE:  Because IIS is already being used on this box, I choose the install using port 8080 option and have found the documentation for installing it to run as a Windows service so I think I'm covered there.

1. When installing, it prompts for a Network Domain.  Because there is no local DNS or active directory, what should I specify?  The Windows workgroup name?

2. When installing, it prompts for a Server Name.  What should I put here?  BOX1, 192.168.xxx.xxx, the public IP, or something else?

3. To get all of this to work, do I need to modify the configuration file to tweak settings, IP's etc.?  Setup a virtual host?  (If so, I could use assistance as to what to do.)

Thank you in advance for any information or assistance you can provide.

Regards,

Joe

1. When installing, it prompts for a Network Domain.  Because there is no local DNS or active directory, what should I specify?  The Windows workgroup name?

That should be fine. I believe you can leave it blank as well, but I'm not entirely sure.

2. When installing, it prompts for a Server Name.  What should I put here?  BOX1, 192.168.xxx.xxx, the public IP, or something else?

If you wish to access it using the hostname box1 then you should enter that. If you'd rather use an IP address then you can enter the IP address for the machine instead.

3. To get all of this to work, do I need to modify the configuration file to tweak settings, IP's etc.?  Setup a virtual host?  (If so, I could use assistance as to what to do.)

For a basic setup you shouldn't have to modify anything else, though if you wish to host multiple websites then you'll need to setup some vhosts.

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. The Network Domain cannot be left blank.  I tried that.  So I'll go with the Workgroup name.

2. It is my understanding (and I could easily be wrong) that the Server Name is used to build URL's, etc.  If that's true, I'm thinking I'll need to enter the PUBLIC IP address here so that I can set Tortoise/SVN to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/svn and I'm hoping that will work when I'm out in the field as well as when I'm plugged into the local network.

3. No other web site will be hosted by Apache.

2. It is my understanding (and I could easily be wrong) that the Server Name is used to build URL's, etc.  If that's true, I'm thinking I'll need to enter the PUBLIC IP address here so that I can set Tortoise/SVN to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/svn and I'm hoping that will work when I'm out in the field as well as when I'm plugged into the local network.

If other hostnames or IP addresses than what you set as ServerName point to that Apache installation then they'll get served the default (i.e. the first) vhost. If you didn't explicitly define any vhosts then it'll just be whatever httpd.conf says.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.