Slow mail () function

mfoster

I have a whole bunch of php scripts that utilize the mail() function.  They have worked fine previously, but now, although they work, are very slow (20-30 seconds).  I have written a couple of testing programs to make sure that the slow completion was due to the mail() function and have shown it is definitely related to it.  In one program, I send the mail and in the other program I put comment code (//) in front of the mail statement so that everything else in the program is identical.  The program with the active mail runs 20-30 seconds, while the inactivated mail program runs in less than 2 or 3 seconds.

I have not changed the code in the scripts, but the hosting company did move to a new server.  The technician for the hosting site tells me that it is NOT a server problem, but a php coding problem.  I honestly don't see how that could be true, but an open to any suggestions that anyone else has.  Here is the code (with the mail function disabled) that seems to be the problem:

$headers  = "From: $from\r\n";

$headers .= "Content-type: text/html\r\n";

// now lets send the email.

//mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

I would be most appreciative of any suggestions.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I send it to one person, or three.

Here's what I have for the header:

$to = "mfoster@xxxxxx.org";

$from = "Conference Registration System";

$subject = "Conference Request Update - Notification of approval";

$headers  = "From: $from\r\n";

$headers .= "Content-type: text/html\r\n";

It seems to follow the rules, but please point out problems if you see them

Well, I looked up the reference that you cited and editted my code to the following:

$from = "Conference Registration System";

$headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";

$headers .= 'Content-type: html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";

$headers  = "From:" . $from . "\r\n";

// now lets send the email.

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

Unfortunately, it had no effect on the time it takes for the script to work.  However, now the email comes out with the source code for the html message rather than the display of the code!  Not good.

The host maintains that all of their equipment are working properly and that it is a problem with php coding which they do not support.

I resubmitted the trouble ticket and replied that it certainly looks like it's a server problem and NOT a php problem.  So far no new replies.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.