what language should i learn next?

rubing

Hey all I have an interesting question, so figured I would post it here.  I feel I would benefit from learning a new language, either C or javascript. 

There are a number of practical reasons for these choices:

In javascript there's a bunch of Ajaxy and UI stuff I'd like to do to improve my site and web apps.

C would help me customize my server. it'd help me compile and set things up.  I could start using the firebird db and write my own functions for it.

Given my php background, which language would you reccomend learning next.  My hunch is that php is based off of C, so that might be easier?  I also like the idea of being able to hack the guts of php.

Go for JS

My reasoning is this:

You will have to learn quite a lot of C to start doing things you mentioned.

Knowing PHP and little C but no or little JS, gives you no real advantage.

On the other hand, JavaScript is much easier to learn to the level, where you can use Ajax or JS Frameworks effectively.

Knowing PHP and JS you can develop good quality sites, while learning C in the meantime.

As of PHP being similar to C... they're about as similar as JS and C, or JS and PHP

[add]

Oh yes. Lisp never gets old.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.