Directory Search...?

cyandi_man

Hi guys - i have  a mini search page on my site in which i want people to be able to pull contact info by either typing in a Phone number or Company name in the search fields.  Question is:

1. how do i have php compare the Phone number entered and phone number on database by just verifying that they have the same numbers in the same sequence? (ignoring any brackets or dashes)

2. how do i have the Company Name field search the database for any word that was entered in the input field excluding "the"

Please advise ...thanks fellas!

With the phone number you should filter it before its inserted and then format the output

ie

$Phone= preg_replace('/[^0-9]/i', '', $Phone);

555-1234

becomes

you can then do the same with the search

to search for "any" you need to use LIKE and % as wildcards

ie

SELECT * FROM table WHERE company LIKE "%freaks%";

//contains freaks

SELECT * FROM table WHERE company LIKE "freaks%";

//Starts with freaks

SELECT * FROM table WHERE company LIKE "%freaks";

//Ends with freaks

Hope that helps

With the phone number you should filter it before its inserted and then format the output

ie

$Phone= preg_replace('/[^0-9]/i', '', $Phone);

555-1234

becomes

you can then do the same with the search

Hope that helps

your awsome dude! thanks!  - question is though ...how do i INSERT the brackets and dashes when displaying the phone number?  i suppose i would have a function that puts a "(" in front of the string and then counts 3 digits and puts a ")" and then counts 3 digits and then put a "-".

but whats the proper format for the code?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.