Making a CMS that people can point domain at

tibberous

I want to make a CMS that people can go to and it will set them up a site (ie: mycms.com/tibberous)

But I want people to be able to buy domains and point them to their CMS. How can I setup my server so it handles it dynamically? So someone can go in, enter tibberousawesomesite.com, and my server will point tibberousawesomesite.com to mycms.com/tibberous.

I think I have one, ns1.trenttompkins.com and ns2.trenttompkins.com. They are setup by CPanel / WHM, but they work, because that is what I use for my sites.

I just can't find any information about setting up and managing a DNS. I read the "How DNS servers work" on howstuffworks, but it is all conceptual.

Apache has this record already setup in the httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost *>

ServerName server.trenttompkins.com

DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs

ServerAdmin root@server.trenttompkins.com

UserDir disable

</VirtualHost>

So it looks like it is set to turn all requests for unknown domains to that? But the DNS just isn't resolving them?

Any idea how I get in and change the DNS?

Are you meaning they just need to point their domains to my nameserver?

I have a domain that is pointed to my server right now, that I didn't setup in WHM, that doesn't work for some reason. Do I have to set it up in my DNS server, or should the DNS server just resolve all domains to my main IP?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.