[SOLVED] Need Help...I'm new and confused

derekbelcher

I am trying to do a simple data entry form, and am getting errors.  This is my first database attempt.  See below:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'p2r71184_admin'@'cp01.myhostcenter.com' (using password: YES) in /home/p2r71184/public_html/addentry.php on line 8

Warning: mysql_select_db() [function.mysql-select-db]: Access denied for user 'nobody'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/p2r71184/public_html/addentry.php on line 9

Warning: mysql_select_db() [function.mysql-select-db]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/p2r71184/public_html/addentry.php on line 9

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Access denied for user 'nobody'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/p2r71184/public_html/addentry.php on line 14

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/p2r71184/public_html/addentry.php on line 14

ERROR: unable to post.

How do I correct this stuff?

Here is the code:

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>Add a Weblog Entry</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<?php

if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['submit']) {

mysql_connect("mercercountyfa.org","p2r71184_admin","692134");

mysql_select_db("p2r71184_training");

$entrytitle=$HTTP_POST_VARS['entrytitle'];

$entrytext=$HTTP_POST_VARS['entrytext'];

$query ="INSERT INTO weblog (entrytitle,entrytext)";

$query.=" VALUES ('$entrytitle','$entrytext')";

$result=mysql_query($query);

if ($result) echo "<b>Successfully Posted!</b>";

else echo "<b>ERROR: unable to post.</b>";

}

?>

<H1>Add an Entry</H1>

<form method="POST" action="addentry.php">

<b>Title:</b><br>

<input type="text" name="entrytitle"><br>

<b>Weblog Entry:</b><br>

<textarea cols="60" rows="6" name="entrytext">

</textarea><br>

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit">

</form>

</BODY>

</HTML>

o.k.  here is the stupid question now.  My domain name is www.mercerccountyfa.org and when I put my server name as mercercountyfa.org it turns it into cp01.myhostcenter.com.  I am not sure what my server name should look like.  I am very new to this, and thought I could figure it out, but I am lost.  I am using cpanel to create the sql database.

log into c panel and make a user i bet you havent made a user for that database ? when u make a databse you have to make a user for it too, this is done where u created teh database its simple in c panel u create the user not in phpmyadmin but in c panel and then you add the user to teh database in c panel

o.k.  I just figured it out:  ;D I was using the wrong username.  I thought when I created the database, I had to create a username, but the database assigned a different name and I found it.  It works.  This was the first time I have been able to utilize databases...woo hoo.  Thanks for your help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.