Help needed to Escape?

Solarpitch

Hey,

Just have a small problem. I have a result coming from the database which is a name. The name is

'O'Sullivan Luke'

The apostrophe seems to be cutting the name out. So I'm trying to echo it into a checkbox and this is what I've tied...

<?php
<input name=box[] type='checkbox' value='".mysql_real_escape_string($row[0])."' > 
?>

All that seems to be echoing out is 'O'.. how can I escape this correctly so I end up with..

<input name=box[] type='checkbox' value='O'Sullivan Luke' >

I want to print the value into a checkbox.

I've managed to get this but it wont return the results from the database

select * from golfpro_member WHERE member_name = 'O\\\\\\\'Sullivan John Mr' and email != '' and email != '0'

but if I where to type this into phpMyAdmin.. it works

select * from golfpro_member WHERE member_name = "O'Sullivan John Mr" and email != '' and email != '0'

I'm basically printing the value into a checkbox like so

print '<input name="box[]" type="checkbox" value='.addslashes($row[0]).'>>'.$row[0]."";

Yeah I'm escaping data to print in HTML ... thats what I'm trying to do. See I cant escape before insertion as the results are already in the database. It's a database that the client already had.

What would I need to be looking at if I'm escaping data to print to HTML.

I see.. well the full function is...

<?php 

function get_mem_types(){

dbconnect();
$sql = "select * from golfpro_member WHERE email != '' and email != '0' ORDER BY member_name asc";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
while(($row = mysql_fetch_row($result)) !== false) {

print '<input name="box[]" type="checkbox" value="'.htmlspecialchars($row[0]).'">'.$row[0]."<br />";

}
    return $select;
}

?>

if was to echo this I would get

select * from golfpro_member WHERE member_name = 'O\\\'Sullivan John Mr' and email != '' and email != '0'

.. and this wont return any results.

See I cant escape before insertion as the results are already in the database. It's a database that the client already had.

Yes you can, and should. You are escaping to prevent SQL injection. Whether you are updating or inserting is irrelevant.

mysql_query("INSERT INTO foo (bar) VALUES('" . mysql_real_escape_string($unescapedBar) . "')");

If you actually see O\\\'Sullivan John Mr in the database then your script is broken.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.