Should i sanitize session variables?

sorenchr

Hi, im currently using sessions for a login system. Some of the session variables are used in mysql queries. My question is, do i need to sanitize the session values before putting them in a query? As i've understood it, the session variables are solely kept on the server, meanwhile the PHPSESSID is with the user, so there shouldn't really be any need for making sure that the data in the values is valid, is there?

Thanks for your time.

you shouldn't have to as session data can only be manipulated on the server.

If you KNOW you have data in there that is to be used in a query and has characters that need escaping then obviously you should ensure that takes place.

any values you store in sessions that contain any qry language like 'OR 1 = 1'  is bascially down to poor application design IMO - any values in session that could open you up to security lapses are your own fault - just make sure it can't be done.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.