This site may harm your computer.

.josh

Okay so I woke up this morning and did my first google search of the day for something or other, and underneath every page result I get a "This site may harm your computer" link.  wtf?

No matter what I enter into google.com, every single site listed has that message underneath the site link.  Even www.google.com has that message listed!  It's a link that takes you to some page saying:

Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!

Suggestions:

Return to the previous page and pick another result.

Try another search to find what you're looking for.

Or you can continue to http://www.google.com/ at your own risk. For detailed information about the problems we found, visit Google's Safe Browsing diagnostic page for this site.

For more information about how to protect yourself from harmful software online, you can visit StopBadware.org.

If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google's Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

Advisory provided by <google logo image>

Anybody know wtf is up with this?  Some new thing google is trying out and horribly failing at?  How the hell do I make it stop?

I'm getting the same thing :/. It just started a few minutes ago. When you visit the "Google's Safe Browsing diagnostic page" from the link they give it says

Server Error

The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.

Please try again in 30 seconds.

Either we all have a virus...or worse...Google has a virus

I don't know what to do without Google...I hope it gets fixed.  I need Google Anonymous meetings

yeah it seems to work for me now too.  I was having an anxiety attack.  I was thinking about going to msn.com's search and I started feeling dirty.  I think I will go take a shower now.  And scrub thoroughly. 

Here's some information about it: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/this-site-may-harm-your-computer-on.html.

If you did a Google search between 6:30 a.m. PST and 7:25 a.m. PST this morning, you likely saw that the message "This site may harm your computer" accompanied each and every search result. This was clearly an error, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to our users.

What happened? Very simply, human error. Google flags search results with the message "This site may harm your computer" if the site is known to install malicious software in the background or otherwise surreptitiously. We do this to protect our users against visiting sites that could harm their computers. We work with a non-profit called StopBadware.org to get our list of URLs. StopBadware carefully researches each consumer complaint to decide fairly whether that URL belongs on the list. Since each case needs to be individually researched, this list is maintained by humans, not algorithms.

We periodically receive updates to that list and received one such update to release on the site this morning. Unfortunately (and here's the human error), the URL of '/' was mistakenly checked in as a value to the file and '/' expands to all URLs. Fortunately, our on-call site reliability team found the problem quickly and reverted the file. Since we push these updates in a staggered and rolling fashion, the errors began appearing between 6:27 a.m. and 6:40 a.m. and began disappearing between 7:10 and 7:25 a.m., so the duration of the problem for any particular user was approximately 40 minutes.

Thanks to our team for their quick work in finding this. And again, our apologies to any of you who were inconvenienced this morning, and to site owners whose pages were incorrectly labelled. We will carefully investigate this incident and put more robust file checks in place to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks for your understanding.

Posted by Marissa Mayer, VP, Search Products & User Experience

Here's some information about it: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/this-site-may-harm-your-computer-on.html.

If you did a Google search between 6:30 a.m. PST and 7:25 a.m. PST this morning, you likely saw that the message "This site may harm your computer" accompanied each and every search result. This was clearly an error, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to our users.

What happened? Very simply, human error. Google flags search results with the message "This site may harm your computer" if the site is known to install malicious software in the background or otherwise surreptitiously. We do this to protect our users against visiting sites that could harm their computers. We work with a non-profit called StopBadware.org to get our list of URLs. StopBadware carefully researches each consumer complaint to decide fairly whether that URL belongs on the list. Since each case needs to be individually researched, this list is maintained by humans, not algorithms.

We periodically receive updates to that list and received one such update to release on the site this morning. Unfortunately (and here's the human error), the URL of '/' was mistakenly checked in as a value to the file and '/' expands to all URLs. Fortunately, our on-call site reliability team found the problem quickly and reverted the file. Since we push these updates in a staggered and rolling fashion, the errors began appearing between 6:27 a.m. and 6:40 a.m. and began disappearing between 7:10 and 7:25 a.m., so the duration of the problem for any particular user was approximately 40 minutes.

Thanks to our team for their quick work in finding this. And again, our apologies to any of you who were inconvenienced this morning, and to site owners whose pages were incorrectly labelled. We will carefully investigate this incident and put more robust file checks in place to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks for your understanding.

Posted by Marissa Mayer, VP, Search Products & User Experience

Fuck you Marissa.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.