[SOLVED] mysqli_num_rows on queries which don't return a number

Snart

Hi

When I try to use mysqli_num_rows on a "CREATE TABLE" statement, it returns me the error "mysqli_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in ...".  This is because the CREATE statement doesn't return a number of rows like a SELECT statement would.

Is there a clean way to deal with this error?  Either by somehow finding out which "type" of query I'm dealing with (a substring extracting the first word of the query could do the trick, but it doesn't feel right) or by error-free testing if mysqli_num_rows is applicable (adding a @ before the function would also do the trick but is, again, not a really clean way).

BTW, I'm using a home-brewn general-purpose query function which launches queries for me and which automatically retrieves results.  So it's not a matter of calling mysqli_num_rows only when I launch a SELECT statement, my function doesn't know which type of query is used and I'm not too fond of having to pass the type each time as an argument.

Cheers

Snart

I used xampp in the past, currently I use wampserver.  But the issue is not the creation of the tables (which has to be done via script, not phpmyadmin and such) but the fact that a "CREATE TABLE" statement generates an error when I use mysqli_num_rows().  I need a way to either test if mysqli_num_rows will work properly on the query, or determine if the query that is being launched is a CREATE statement or SELECT statement or something else.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.