making a subscription based program

Lodius2000

Maybe not the right section feel free to move it

I am creating a system in php that in the future I might consider selling it, possibly as a subscription service. Just wondering how programs lie vbulletin ensure that you are paying your bills, and how they punish you if you arent (ie hold on the account restricting access or other options?).

Also how do they ensure you dont tamper with that part of their system (other than threatening legal action)

I don't know how vBulletin does it.  I've seen a ton of illegal vBulletin copies.

One thing to do would be encrypt your source, and have it check with a remote server or something, but that's easily fooled, even without decrypting the file.  (Loop back interface with a simple server on the other end.)

You could of course threaten legal action, but you have to first know for sure that someone is using your system.

In the big scheme of things, it's practically impossible to protect your work.  You may slow people down, but everything gets cracked.

Maybe someone has a better idea or something x.x.

o yeah Im sure theres lots of cracked vbullitens, i was just picking a pay for play system out of my head

I am more interested in keeping reputable clients from redistributing my product, and some sort of immediate reprisal if they dont pay me, but I dont want to destroy their site, something like zip their files and backup their db and send it to myself, then delete everything, so when they do pay, I can put the site back real quick

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.