temporary download link

optikalefx

HI all,

I have a file placed outside my web directory.  I create via php a sym link to that file so a user can download that file.  After the download, or after a period of time, i need the sym link to be removed and i need to add some info to my database that the download is done.

any ideas?

Instead of symlinking the file, you might want to create a download script that takes in an id and looks up the filename in a database.  Then you can send the correct headers and call readfile() to force the download.

This way, you can flag the download in the database so you know it has been downloaded.

You can also use a cron job to clean up downloads that have been sitting around for too long.

Is there any way to tell that the download is completed?

Don't believe so - at least not directly. There might be a way to check through the server logs/data to see if it "sent" all the packets for the file. But that is still no guarantee that they all made it to the client.

How can you put a time limit on it?  I thought of cookies but thats not always good, and sweeping the server folder but that requires constant checks.  The issue is that on this last download page, no more PHP is run, unless i do something via ajax when they click the download link.  But i cant kill the sym link when they click the link of course.  The download script idea was alright, except it doesnt work for this because this download link is an XPI for a firefox extension and if the link is not to a .xpi then the javascript wont verify it even if i redirect the headers and all.  So im thinking itll have to be attached to the download? or if there exists a self destructing timer?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.