New user question

Trakcil

We are doing a standalone Apache project in one of my classes and I'm having a number of problems.  Some of these are going to seem super obvious but my teacher isn't a huge fan of helping people with basic questions.  I'm using Apache 2.2 in Vista

Right now I'm trying to enable dav.  I changed the httpd.conf file in the following way to set it up

DavLockDB "C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\var\davlock"

#Dav

<Location "C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\var\www\davtest">

Order Allow,Deny

Allow from all

Dav On

AuthType Basic

AuthName DAV

AuthUserFile "C:\program files\apache software foundation\apache2.2\bin\pswdfile"

<LimitExcept GET OPTIONS>

Require valid-user

</LimitExcept>

</Location>

I also enabled all of the dav mods and whatnot.  I restarted the Apache server and it worked fine but I have no idea how to test it and make sure that it is actually working.  I need to take a screenshot of the folder I used for dav showing that it is accessable.  My other big problem here is that I'm unsure if I need to create this davlockdb file myself or if it creates it automatically.

Hrmmm, I've never used WebDAV before, but it looks fairly straight forward from the docs.  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_dav.html

The DavLockDB should be created automatically.

How to test it?  Just go to davtest and see if it asks you for a password.

By the way, incase you don't know how, you'll need to use htpasswd.exe in the bin folder of the Apache folder to make your pswfile.

How to test it?  Just go to davtest and see if it asks you for a password.

By the way, incase you don't know how, you'll need to use htpasswd.exe in the bin folder of the Apache folder to make your pswfile.

Yea, I have a password file made that I am referencing.  I'm not sure exactly what you mean though when you say "just go to davtest."  Do you mean just go to the folder through explorer because that does not ask for a password.

I have never really done anything with servers before so again, I'm sorry I need to ask some of these really obvious questions.

After screwing around with it a bit I got it to work.  Is there a way, however, for me to "log out" so that I need to put in the password again.

Also, shouldn't I be able to access it as a web folder?  If not, how can I access a remote Apache server? (I need to put a file in my teachers apache site but I am not sure how to get to a place that allows me to upload files.)

You'll have to tell your web client to forget the auth details.  With basic HTTP authentication, the user/pass credentials are actually sent on every single request, so it's on the client side to "logout."  Hrmmm you could try Control+F5 but besides closing and reopening the browser, I don't know a surefire way.

To put a file on his server you will most likely need a DAV client.  (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DAV+client&btnG=Google+Search)

Did your teacher give you instructions at all on how to put stuff on his server?  Did he say to use DAV?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.