Creating a PHP based website

canadianpanda

Hello, I am new here so I hope you guys can answer a few questions I have.

I got a job offer to help build a website for buying and selling. Kind of like eBay.

An example of the site I am trying to build is http://machinetools.com/

It's suppose to be in a format like that.  ( Probably very Database oriented.

1. Where would I start learning about this? ( Tutorial, Examples , etc. )

2. Is there any recommended ways for doing this?

Thanks in Advance,

Panda

Hi,

Just a couple of questions because your question is way to broad.

what did you look for online?

what exactly is your job description?

are you suppose to design it?

develop it?

Just do usability engineering?

Before you can find the right information you should ask yourself the correct questions.

I am suppose to Design and Maintain the site. The concept seems very simple , I am just not so good with the whole PHP thing.

The basic Idea is for the site to have a Login / registration form at the top.

Then a form to add a part with specific fields , Part number , name , etc.

A search area to let users search for the part.

I think the main thing that's giving me trouble is how to link it all to the database , and how to set up the mysql database to hold all the fields of information. I use Hostmonster to host another website I own and with most things you can just create a DB and install the Forum or whatever your using and the DB is configured for you.

I guess my questions are:

1. How would I setup the database according to Fields?

2. Would i need a separate DB for users?

3. Is there a Good Program to use to do all this? (to make it easy for the less knowledgeable.)

4. As for the Design of the site , is there a good way to go about creating it?

--As for the program question I have Adobe Master Collection , I am just not sure if dreamweaver is really the way to go.

I am suppose to Design and Maintain the site. The concept seems very simple , I am just not so good with the whole PHP thing.

The basic Idea is for the site to have a Login / registration form at the top.

Then a form to add a part with specific fields , Part number , name , etc.

A search area to let users search for the part.

I think the main thing that's giving me trouble is how to link it all to the database , and how to set up the mysql database to hold all the fields of information. I use Hostmonster to host another website I own and with most things you can just create a DB and install the Forum or whatever your using and the DB is configured for you.

I guess my questions are:

3. Is there a Good Program to use to do all this? (to make it easy for the less knowledgeable.)

--As for the program question I have Adobe Master Collection , I am just not sure if dreamweaver is really the way to go.

thorpe is right.....you'd be starting with the basics.....it would take a while to get something like that done.......but it can be done if you really commit.......dont rely on us to give you all the answers....cause we dont have em

Dreamweaver is a good help for highlighting your code, that's it really.. (Even though i use it mysql).

As mentioned, you need to learn the language before you can speak it. Go read tutorials, it will take a while to get into it, but once you're in it, you can create almost whatever you'd like to.

There is a lot of learning for you I see. All of this is not something you can learn within a day. But I'll give hints to start with.

You'll need an understanding of databases.

What you can do to learn how to work with a database, is install mysql and the clients mysql administrator and mysql query browser. You can also just use ms acces for starting.

Other then that try to look up as many articles about databases as you can.

You could just install some opensource CMS(content management system) but if you don't know PHP, SQL, CSS HTML etc modification to that system will be a big pain in the butt. 

For Designs You will need to know about HTML and CSS. Also some painting program such as photoshop, gimp or corel draw might come in handy.

The sum things up you will need to learn about are the following

PHP

SQL(mysql is most common)

HTML

CSS

and there are other things to learn but this would be a start

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.