Drupal vs Joomla Vs Wordpress

williamZanelli

Hi guys,

I have an assignment for uni, which basically enatils me designing a web site for a ficticious company,

I need to use a CMS, the question is which one, I'm a PHP/MySQL guy [or trying to be], hence want to stick to my strong points

I've narrowed down to Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress

I need something which is easy to use/customise,

RSS feed aggregator [i.e. latest business news from CNN feed on the front page]

Search engine friendly

Has a front page, which is different from the more "wordy pages"

WYSIWYG editor,

From the above, which one do you guys think is the best?

Thanks for your advice

Will

Well, 2 of those are CMS, and one is a blog (although the difference between blogs and CMS is often fairly minimal).  Between Drupal and Joomla, flip a coin. Either one has the features you require.  They both have a learning curve, but also have extensive documentation and community support.  I'd suggest you visit each site and take a look and see which appeals to you.  You can also visit http://opensourcecms.com

In particular, since your assignment involves a custom template, you will want to investigate template development and customization for each.

In a nutshell, the general consensus is that Drupal is much better architected, while Joomla is more feature packed, primarily due to the extensive number of mods available for it.  For your assignment I don't think this will be relevant to you at all. 

I've heard Joomla is clunky and hard to modify. Drupal is easy to modify, but hard to learn. I only know Drupal, so I can't really speak on Joomla from a first person point of view. But the description I read was 'if Drupal is leggo, then Joomla is Duplo'.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.