Ok, I am not sure what's going on here, maybe a bug but here is the code:

$sql = "SELECT count(email)
		            AS counter 
				  FROM users
				 WHERE email = '" . $email . "'
				   AND password = '" . $password . "'";

$result = mysqli_query($sql) or die("Oops");
echo mysqli_num_rows($result);

Consistently returns 10, but there is only 1 row returned. the table users has a primary key of email, so there can only be one row with a given email address. Something very strange going on.

...mmm, from my perspective your query seems OK, but for the heck of trouble shooting change:

count(email)

to:

or:

email

Also, does

prints 10, is that what you meant?

Run the query on the shell; Worse case scenario I'll think you have a design logic problem.

good luck

Angel.

The result is unbuffered so the actual count will not be returned until you retrieve all the rows...

change...

to...

$result = mysqli_query ( $sql, MYSQLI_STORE_RESULT ) or die ( "Oops" );

Then mysli_num_rows() will work right. When doing COUNT() always use * MYSQLI_STORE_RESULT *, when returning bigger result sets that you need to while(loop) always use * MYSQLI_USE_RESULT *

Other notes...

When you do a COUNT(?) you are guaranteed a result, so it's better to do...

/* procedural style */

$result = mysqli_query ( 'SELECT COUNT(field_to_count_or_*) AS total FROM table...', MYSQLI_STORE_RESULT );

$found = mysqli_fetch_assoc ( $result );

echo $found['total'];

printf,

That's crazy you have to add an extra parameter to mysqli_query() for mysqli_num_rows() to work properly. So I have all this logic stored in a db abstraction function, how do I determine if I want to use MYSQLI_STORE_RESULT or MYSQLI_USE_RESULT? Could I just always use MYSQLI_STORE_RESULT without problems/performance hits?

By the way, does this only apply to mysqli, if I was using mysql standard would the mysql_num_rows() work fine? Thanks.

Try echoing the query just before running it

$sql = "SELECT count(email)
                     AS counter
                 FROM users
                WHERE email = '" . $email . "'
                  AND password = '" . $password . "'";

echo $sql;

you will see if the query is well formed. You can even run it from console or phpMyAdmin to see if it will return 1 row only

Scouring the net, I found this:

"The use of mysqli_num_rows() depends on whether you use buffered or unbuffered result sets. In case you use unbuffered resultsets mysqli_num_rows() will not correct the correct number of rows until all the rows in the result have been retrieved. "

So this seems to be the case, something related to the unbuffered result. Very odd though. When I get home tonight I will do more tests.

Is it just me being stupid, or has SQL always worked this way:

SELECT COUNT() as counter

will always return a single row that countains the count value of rows that match the selection criteria.

mysqli_num_rows($result) will give 1, and the value of that single result (counter) will be 10

SELECT *

will return the actual rows of data that match the selection criteria.

mysqli_num_rows($result) will give 10

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.