[SOLVED] Quick and easy question

mryno

I have an array of results from MySQL. I want to loop through them until I find that one of the arrays' elements match a part of the URL requesting the page.

My URL is: www.mypage.com/something/test1/index.php

For Example:

$results[0][id] = 'test1'

$results[1][id] = 'test2'

$results[2][id] = 'test3'

When I am going through the results I want to stop when I find the record that matches (in case there are a lot). Or if you know a better way, that would be cool, too. Right now I am just foreach'ing through the results and when I find a match using strpos, I set that as the one I want. I would just rather not foreach through potentially thousands of records. Thanks for the help!

Ryan

The part that I am looking for could appear in different places. For example:

www.mysite.com/something/test1/index.php

www.othersite.com/test1/index.php

The possibilities are pretty limitless based on the client and the way they want to set up their site. I am just trying to make it as flexible as possible. Again, if you know a better way to do that or if maybe it is better to parse the URL and search on those, let me know. I am not an expert on efficiency yet. :-)

That's probably how I would do it to.

What about the "strstr" function? It seems to provide the same kind of functionality. I don't know which one would be "faster" though.

You would parse the URL? The only problem is I would have to foreach and then query right?

// parse URL to get the subdirectories and put them in the array $url pieces

foreach $urlpieces {

// Query each piece to see if it matches any SiteIDs in the DB

}

OR

// Run query to get all SiteIDs as $results (1 fast query)

foreach $results {

// Match against the URL as a string using strpos or something similar

}

Is it faster to query multiple times (probably a maximum of 5) or is it faster to query once (getting possibly 100s of records) and have PHP go through them?

That's probably how I would do it to.

What about the "strstr" function? It seems to provide the same kind of functionality. I don't know which one would be "faster" though.

You would parse the URL? The only problem is I would have to foreach and then query right?

// parse URL to get the subdirectories and put them in the array $url pieces

foreach $urlpieces {

// Query each piece to see if it matches any SiteIDs in the DB

}

OR

// Run query to get all SiteIDs as $results (1 fast query)

foreach $results {

// Match against the URL as a string using strpos or something similar

}

Is it faster to query multiple times (probably a maximum of 5) or is it faster to query once (getting possibly 100s of records) and have PHP go through them?

I would have done the latter, get all the info out of mysql and let PHP parse through it. Perhaps it's just my fear of overloading mysql too much.

I never like mysql doing the heavy queries....

In fact, you can even have mysql do the queries and parsing with LIKE functions built into mysql, but that would put more load on the DB....

I would have done the latter, get all the info out of mysql and let PHP parse through it. Perhaps it's just my fear of overloading mysql too much.

I never like mysql doing the heavy queries....

In fact, you can even have mysql do the queries and parsing with LIKE functions built into mysql, but that would put more load on the DB....

That is my thought also. I try to keep the workload on PHP. A query within a foreach just seems unnatural to me. I have used it once or twice, but there are definitely TODO comments right next to them. :)

Good point corbin. If I could use the LIKE or something like that, it would be worth looking into. I think in this specific case since there are a bunch of unknowns and I won't have a lot of control over what people put in their URLs, I better put the query in the hands of the known variables. I agree though. Usually probably better and faster to let MySQL handle it if you can get it into a query.

Thanks for the help!

Uh, usually it's better to let MySQL do the grunt work.  After all, MySQL is designed to do database stuff.

(Not aimed at OP at all:) Something taking longer than expected in MySQL is usually a sign of bad indexing or poor design.

Well like i said, it's just my fear of mysql. I just feel comfortable having PHP do the looping and parsing. Perhaps once i become mysql certified,

my fear will go away the more I understand it....

That is my thought also. I try to keep the workload on PHP. A query within a foreach just seems unnatural to me. I have used it once or twice, but there are definitely TODO comments right next to them.  :)

Thanks for the help!

That would seem like it would kill the DB if you had a lot to loop through. I mean, I've had my share of hammering mysql so of course you can get away with

small tables and putting queries in a loop.

But it would seem to make more logical sense to get all the info out first, put it in an array, and loop through the data with PHP...

I guess I just don't understand that fear.  MySQL is made to manipulate databases.  So, I let it do what it's made to do.

Yeah, I just like to use mysql for simple queries. For example, can you do math functions within mysql? Of course....would I want to?

eh...I don't know...I'd probably pull the data out and have PHP do the calculations.

Has anyone really done a benchmark to see which has better performance? I'm sure someone has..

In that specific case, it would depend on how large the result set is.

What's better:  Pulling 1,000,000 rows, or doing 100 queries that pull 1-3 rows a piece?  Obvious in that case.

I don't see why one would ever need to do a query in a loop.  The only thing I can think of is some kind of hierarchical data.

Edit:  Doing the math out of MySQL would make sense if you plan on using all of those rows.  If you need to decide which rows to pull by doing math on them, then I would do that in MySQL.

For example:

I would do:

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE post_time > DATESUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 30 DAYS);

in MySQL.

That is my thought also. I try to keep the workload on PHP. A query within a foreach just seems unnatural to me. I have used it once or twice, but there are definitely TODO comments right next to them. :)

Thanks for the help!

That would seem like it would kill the DB if you had a lot to loop through. I mean, I've had my share of hammering mysql so of course you can get away with

But it would seem to make more logical sense to get all the info out first, put it in an array, and loop through the data with PHP...

Absolutely true. I am not even to beta yet, so it just has to work with a very small load now for demos, but I am optimizing what I can so when there is a load I don't have to worry about hitting the DB so often. Most of that is my lack of MySQL skills on those 4th and 5th joins.... :)

The issue with not doing it your way corbin is simply that who's to say that a client's url to this isn't going to be:

www.clientsite.com/something/test1/test2/index.php

or that one of their directory names contains the term I am searching...just too many uncontrollables on my part, but I do agree with you in general that MySQL should be used rather than using PHP to go through records. There is always a way with MySQL! :) Some of the data I have had to deal with IS hierarchical data, which doesn't help my lack of skills...

So what happens when you have 5000 rows being processed in PHP, and you're getting 1000 concurrent requests at a time?

That will slow Apache way down, depending on how the rows are being processed.

Also, there is overhead of getting data from MySQL to PHP.  It doesn't just magically jump there.

That is my thought also. I try to keep the workload on PHP. A query within a foreach just seems unnatural to me. I have used it once or twice, but there are definitely TODO comments right next to them.  :)

Thanks for the help!

Absolutely true. I am not even to beta yet, so it just has to work with a very small load now for demos, but I am optimizing what I can so when there is a load I don't have to worry about hitting the DB so often. Most of that is my lack of MySQL skills on those 4th and 5th joins.... :)

I don't know how big your DB will get, but make sure you design your tables properly as well using correct column types etc...

things like that can really add up when you have millions of records...

So what happens when you have 5000 rows being processed in PHP, and you're getting 1000 concurrent requests at a time?

Also, there is overhead of getting data from MySQL to PHP.  It doesn't just magically jump there.

Good point.

1) Use load balancer!!  ;D ;D

2) You can also split up your DB into reads and writes so that one mysql node is used for reading, and another for writing,

but that is going out of the scope of this post.

3) The real answer is probably super complex joins and a mixture of clean PHP coding...

I edited my previous post, but I didn't make it in time:

The issue with doing it your way corbin is simply that who's to say that a client's url to this isn't going to be:

www.clientsite.com/something/test1/test2/index.php

or that one of their directory names contains the term I am searching...just too many uncontrollables, but I do agree with you in general that MySQL should be used rather than using PHP to go through records. There is always a way with MySQL! :) Some of the data I have had to deal with IS hierarchical data, which doesn't help my lack of skills...

In my experience with large-scale (100's of millions) record sets, it is beyond a doubt faster to use MySQL. It probably doesn't matter (isn't noticeably faster to the end user) as much with smaller sets (100's to 1000's) of data. MySQL is still faster in the smaller sets, but what is a tenth of a second? :)

no, i would do it like so. it's all one statement to build the SQL, but i separated it into multiple lines so i could comment up each part. remember to read it from the middle to the top as that is how the parts will be processed. the only part you may want to tweak is step 2...not sure if you wanted the filename or just the directories in the search:

$sql = sprintf("SELECT * FROM tableName WHERE id IN ('%s')", // 7. Puts it into the SQL statement
  implode("','", // 6. Joins them back together with quotes and commas
    array_map('mysql_real_escape_string', // 5. Runs everything through mysql_real_escape_string to be safe
      explode('/', // 4. Splits the parts on the slash
        substr( // 3. Removes the leading slash
          dirname( // 2. Strips off the file, so it's just the folder path
            parse_url($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],PHP_URL_PATH) // 1. Gets the path of the script from the URL
          ),1
        )
      )
    )
  )
);
echo $sql;

edit: the url http://www.mypage.com/something/test1/index.php would produce

SELECT * FROM tableName WHERE id IN ('something','test1')

no, i would do it like so. it's all one statement to build the SQL, but i separated it into multiple lines so i could comment up each part. remember to read it from the middle to the top as that is how the parts will be processed. the only part you may want to tweak is step 2...not sure if you wanted the filename or just the directories in the search:

$sql = sprintf("SELECT * FROM tableName WHERE id IN ('%s')", // 7. Puts it into the SQL statement
  implode("','", // 6. Joins them back together with quotes and commas
    array_map('mysql_real_escape_string', // 5. Runs everything through mysql_real_escape_string to be safe
      explode('/', // 4. Splits the parts on the slash
        substr( // 3. Removes the leading slash
          dirname( // 2. Strips off the file, so it's just the folder path
            parse_url($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],PHP_URL_PATH) // 1. Gets the path of the script from the URL
          ),1
        )
      )
    )
  )
);
echo $sql;

edit: the url http://www.mypage.com/something/test1/index.php would produce

SELECT * FROM tableName WHERE id IN ('something','test1')

Consider my world rocked!  :o

Very simple and elegant. That would have taken me forever. Great code Rhodesa.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.