[SOLVED] Site within a site???

ShootingBlanks

Hello.  Here's my dilemma...

I have a site hosted with no PHP/MySQL capabilities (let's call that www.siteA.com).  Then I have another site hosted that does have PHP/MySQL capabilities (let's call that www.siteB.com).  I'd like a way to masquerade it so that when a user goes to www.siteA.com, they actually are seeing and navigating through www.siteB.com.  The URL in their address bar will not ever change from "www.siteA.com".  I would build siteA's site pages in some directory on my siteB's server, and then just point it over to siteA somehow...

Would an iframe do this?  Or would that be obvious when you're in siteA that you're looking at another frame?  I want this to be as seamless as possible.  Also, I'd prefer to not to a re-direct, because I want siteA's URL to stay in the user's address bar.  Please let me know if this is possible.  Thanks!...

Point your nameservers at Site B, and configure Site A as an addon domain.

If they are both on the same server, you can skip step 1.

They're definitely not both on the same server.  Other than that, your response was way over my head.  I apologize - I'm kind of a novice here...

What's a "nameserver"?  How do you configure Site A as an "addon domain", and what does that mean?

These are both sites that I paid for hosting for from a 3rd-party, so I don't have control over them, per se.  I don't know if I should have said that originally, or if it makes a difference.  I basically just upload my HTML/PHP files to them via FTP...

What's a "nameserver"?  How do you configure Site A as an "addon domain", and what does that mean?

A nameserver is the address of the server. When you type in a domain name, your ISP takes that text name, and uses it to look up the address of the server. Think of it as being like a phonebook. If you want to phone someone, you need to know their phone number. If you only know their name, you look up their name, and get the corresponding phone number. The domain name is the site's 'name', and the nameserver is the site's 'phone number'. Each domain name (for a working site) will be set to some nameservers. These nameservers are the server with the site data on it.

Then on the server itself, the site will be related to a certain folder. To do this, you have to set up the server to accept incoming connections for www.example.domain to show the contents of the /example folder. This is called configuring an addon domain. This isn't easy to do, but if you are on a hosting company, they should be able to do this for you. Or if you have access to the control panel, you can do it in there - look for something that says 'addon domains'.

These are both sites that I paid for hosting for from a 3rd-party, so I don't have control over them, per se.  I don't know if I should have said that originally, or if it makes a difference.  I basically just upload my HTML/PHP files to them via FTP...

Talk to the companies you hosted them on. They should allow you to do this. If they don't, you may want to get a different host. You can put more than one site on one host, so that may be your best bet.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.