expression question

Stooney

I have the following two lines, each work fine without the other but not together.  Example:

Let's say i have 'File 1.jpg'.  I want to make it File_1.jpg.  I have this:

$this->name=str_replace(' ', '_', $this->name);
$this->name=ereg_replace("^[A-Za-z0-9_-]+$", '', $this->name).'.'.$this->getExt();

This gives me '.jpg'.  I've tried commenting each line out, and each work as intended without the other.  So line 1 will give me 'File_1.jpg' and line 2 will give me 'File 1.jpg' (no change). 

I'm assuming my pattern is wrong as far as the underscore goes.  I built the expression based off what I read on the tutorial on the phpfreaks site.  :(

Also, how would I also allow parenthesis?  I'd imagine it would something like:

^[A-Za-z0-9_-\\(\\)]+$

correct?

Okay so after converting space to underscore, you want to strip out everything except for numbers, letters, hyphens, parenthesis, and underscores.  I'm assuming by those concats in your OP that we're talking about the filename itself, and not the extension, as well?

$this->name = preg_replace("~[^-\w\(\)]~", '', $this->name).'.'.$this->getExt();

That works great, ty CV :D

And yea, the file extension is handled elsewhere.  This is just for the file output.  The uploaded file is renamed to a 10 digit random name, and a 'display name' is stored in the db.  When the file is downloaded, it is sent under the display name, which I want only certain characters allowed in.  Generally that doesn't make much sense, but it's an internal website for a business and they are technologically dumbtarded.  In short, I rename the files like this to make my job easier when the files make it past the website stage of their life. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.