<h#> tags

Brian W

I have my website's title in the <h1> tag so google sees it as important. The title is in the form of a image (logo) but the alt and title text are what the image says, which is the websites name. Is this okay and is Google going to get anything from it?

My <h2> tag, which is directly below the <h1>, I am having a hard time deciding what to put in for it. I want it to be something that is a tagline for the site but I also want it to be good keywords. The rest of my site focuses on randomness, so it wouldn't be absurd to have the tagline rotate through several different statements, would it? Would that be bad for SEO?

Also, i'm not familiar with the board yet, do people on here help with critiquing content for SEO?

Any input appreciated, thanks.

The h1 tag should not be used for logos, use a simple paragraph for that instead. And reserve the h1 tag for the main page subject, and h2's for subsections of h1, h3 of h2, Etc.

Actually having an alt text is a good thing, since most search engines simply sees this in place of the image. But having your logo in your H1, is bad for your placement in the serps. It would obviously be better to reserve it for the main subject, as well as it would be more semantically correct.

Are people actually going to look for your site by the name of your site? or by other keywords?

It is the keywords that you should be targeting.

If your site is called "mysite.com" and that is your h1 tag/title then you will be found for the term "mysite".  If your site is about rare books then you should have "rare books" in your h1. 

"Welcome to Mysite" is worthless.

"The rarest of rare books on the Web" is much better.

Ideally your site name should reflect what you do.... like phpfreaks!  A site about php freaks with php in the site name and php in the site content. . . . perfect.

Not intirely correct however, since having mysite.com would have very high value in the search engines, you most likely would show up first, or at least on the first page, since the keyword is an exact match with your domain.

Both my main sites, brugbart.dk and brugbart.com, are listed on the first result page. And i didn't even optimize for the word Brugbart. There are many examples of this, try searching for a few sites to check it out.

Its however rather unfeir that it is this way, because then any idiot can buy whatever.com, and outrank other sites on the paticuler keyword easily, or atleast reach the first result page with little to no effort.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.