[SOLVED] deleting master records in mysql

jaminxz

firstly i'm new here and to php/mysql so hi guys!

i'd like some help with a web app i'm building at the mo. Basically I have two tables that share a one to many relationship, kinda like an orders table and an order_item table where order item is related to orders by the Order_No PK and the PK of Order_Item is Order_No and Product no.

At the mo my web app has one page that handles basic user updates, add and delete order items, but when every order_item is deleted a record still exists in the order table. I need to write some sort of logic like IF Order_No.Number of items = 0, delete the order record but I have no clue where to start.

any help greatly appreciated.

Jaminxz.

basically, i have two tables ORDER: Order_ID, Date; and Order_Item:Order_ID, Product_ID, Quantity.

I'm just building a simple prototype at the mo so i've hand typed a little bit of data myself. Currently my webb-app allows a user to add and remove order_Items from an order, but when an order has no more order_items that order should no longer exist. I would like some guidence on how to deal with this as I have no idea where to start.

thanks again.

If you unconditionally delete the row from the order table when the number of items reaches zero, what happens if I add one item, decide to remove it, add a different item, then complete the order? This is a common occurrence. You will end up with a lot of deleted rows for orders that were actually placed.

How this is normally done is just leave the rows in the database and run a cron job or scheduled task to remove any entries that were never completed that are x amount of time old (~ 1 week or so.) During this process you also generate a report of incomplete orders so that you can see if there is some problem on the site that is causing a lot of incomplete orders.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.