replacing contents of display with contents of another cell?

toibs

Hi Guys,

New to the board, so Hi to all. Also new to php/mysql programming, so please bear with the newbie!!

I have a query:

$result = mysql_query( "SELECT owner_id, serial_number, date_of_manufacture, notes, location, country FROM ($table) ORDER BY serial_number ASC" ) 

that outputs a string from an sql database as follows:

user ID   Serial number    

500 	25250-157742 	 	Blahh blahh blahh  	Sydney 	AU
354 	50120-083831 	 	Blahh blahh blahh         Minnesota 	US
466 	50120-084131 	 	Blahh blahh blahh         Victoria 	AU
530 	50120-085891 	 	Blahh blahh blahh         Cali     	US

I also have another database with a bunch of usernames and data. The username/data corresponds to the first field (the numeric) as above.

User table

ID      Name          Email

500 	Joe bloggs 	joe@bloggs.com 	
354 	Bill Bailey 	bill@bailey.com
466 	Dave Pike   dave@pike.com
530	Hugh Jarrs  hugh@jarrs.com		

I want to be able to pull the username itself from a field in a second table, and replace the number in the output with the username contained in the corresponding cell.

So the end output would be something like:

Joe bloggs 	25250-157742 	 	Blahh blahh blahh 	Sydney 	AU
Bill Bailey 	50120-083831 	 	Blahh2 blahh2 blahh2 	Minnesota 	US
Dave pike 	50120-084131 	 	Blahh3 blahh3 blahh3   Victoria 	AU
Hugh Jarrs 	50120-085891 	 	Blahh 4 blahh 4 blahh4CA 	US

This is for the output only - i dont want to overwrite the info in the cells itself.

Has anyone any advice on how to do this??

Also - since i'm new to this, is there anywhere/anything i can get that will allow me to easilly find out that variables/commands are available that will do what i'm after??? half the problem is that i know what i want to do, however i dont know what it's likely to be called, or how to locate one!!

Thanks again

Paul

"Also - since i'm new to this, is there anywhere/anything i can get that will allow me to easilly find out that variables/commands are available that will do what i'm after??? half the problem is that i know what i want to do, however i dont know what it's likely to be called, or how to locate one!!"

Read as much as you can.  Also, sometimes googling random things will eventually lead you to something useful.

Anyway, look into JOIN.

It would go something like:

SELECT table1.*, table2.user_name FROM table1 JOIN table2 ON table2.user_id = table1.user_id;

Except you would want to change column/table names of course.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.