making www.domain.com/index.php?page=shows rewrite to www.domain.com/_pages/show

sinister1

Hi,

I am totally new to mod rewrite. Did a lot of digging around trough google. Seen a lot of posts on this website regarding rewriting.

I have a website with a url structur like www.domain.com/index.php?page=shows  i want to rewrite this to www.domain.com/_pages/shows

is this possible and if so how do i do that? i've tried several options:

Option 1:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?page=$1 [L]

Option 2:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/index.php

RewriteRule ^(.*)/$          index.php?page=$1 [L]

can anyone help me out here?

"I have a website with a url structur like www.domain.com/index.php?page=shows  i want to rewrite this to www.domain.com/_pages/shows"

Technically you want domain.com/_pages/shows to be rewritten to domain.com/index.php?page=shows, not the other way around.

Anyway:

RewriteRule ^_pages/([^/]+)/?$ /index.php?page=$1

Oh, using ^(.*)$ doesn't make sense by the way.  ^ is the begin anchor, and $ is the end anchor, so it doesn't make sense to allow any amount of anything and have start/end anchors.

Also, (.*) would grab everything, so you would get index.php?page=_pages/shows.

Make sure you left

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

in there or it is possible that the requests to the CSS files are being rewritten.

And yes, you will either need to rewrite CSS files (not recommended) or you will need to use absolute paths.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.