ORDER GROUP BY RAND()

The Little Guy

I cant get this to work...

SELECT  DISTINCT * from class_event_entered WHERE rundate='03-03-2009' ORDER BY `class` DESC, ORDER BY RAND()

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY RAND()

LIMIT 0, 30' at line 1

I would like to order the selected by class (1+ values), then within that class group order those randomly. Instead I get the above error, how can I do this?

I changed my mind not solved :)

I would like to add to it...

SELECT  DISTINCT * from class_event_entered WHERE rundate='03-03-2009' ORDER BY `class` LIMIT 6, RAND()

I would like something like that.

Say class "A" has 10+ rows (10+ people apart of class "A") I only want to select 6 of those, and do that for each class in the database. How can I do this? I thought the above would work, but it doesn't.

So the returned values would look like so:

A     player1
A     player2
A     player3
A     player4
A     player5
A     player6
B     player7
B     player8
B     player9
B     player10
B     player11
B     player12

I want to grab 6 random values per class.

So say I have 3 classes with 10 people in each class (30 people) I want to select six random people from each class for a total of 18. That means select 6 people from class a, six people from class b and six people from class c.

The example above just uses 3 classes, there could more classes and there could be less classes. A class could even have less than six people in it as well.

How would I do that?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.