If I were to write a function to get user input such as

function get_input($name)
{
  if(isset($_POST[$name]))
      return mysql_real_escape($_POST[$name]);
  else
      return false;
}

And then collect all user input from this function (never directly) then I don't need to 'clean' any of my MySQL queries after that?

I suppose what I'm asking is is there any other way of injection attacks (etc) happening?

Thanks

Andrew.

this is a common misconception. the function you have here will clean the data for MySQL...that is it. this doesn't provide any safety from XSS attacks (where people inject HTML code). also, don't get into the habit of just running all input through mysql_real_escape_string() as soon as it's posted. you will end up with \'s in places you might not want:

$val = get_input('name'); //Let's assume the 'name' posted is John O'Hara
print '<input type="text" value="'.$val.'" />';

The above will insert a \ in front of the ' when it shouldn't be there

My recommendation is to just use the proper functions on an as needed basis. The two I use most are:

-mysql_real_escape_string() when building queries

-htmlspecialchars() escape text for displaying in HTML

...or look into MySQLi which will escape the data for you :)

MySQLi uses a substitution method, where you put a question mark where the values go, and pass the values as argument. it will escape them and insert them into the sql statement for you. but, there is a catch to MySQLi:

The mysqli extension is designed to work with MySQL version 4.1.13 or newer, or 5.0.7 or newer

yeah, they are used mainly when packaging something where you don't know what DB will be used when it reaches it's final destination. another reason to use it is if you use lots of different databases. this way you only have to become familiar with one set of functions.

the downside to an abstraction layer is that it's more overhead (what could be done in 5 lines of code require several file includes and probably dozens of lines of code). you might also have to give up some features that are specific to one db type, since it needs to work on all db types

for just quick statements, you can use

http://us.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.query.php

for statements you want sanitized, you should use prepare/bind/execute method:

http://us.php.net/manual/en/mysqli-stmt.execute.php

if you look at example 1 in the link above, you will see the advantage of binds. you can bind them to variables, execute, then change the variables and execute again without preparing/binding again

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.