class or function?

maddogandnoriko

I have just recently begun oop programming with php. I am going to write a link verifer for my site that will go through many links and make sure they are valid. My question is....is this better suited for a class or function? For the sake of argument the link list will vary from just one links to many hundreds....

All help is appreciated,

Todd

a function is generally supposed to perform one action. If you have to do multiple actions on a common data set, then classes are prepared.

For example:

If you have a string and u just have to parse URLs from it, use function.

If you have a string and u have to parse URLs, process them, and store statistics in database then write a class which will have function for each action you want to do..

on broader level...

function is a piece of code performing an action , which can be reused.

Class generally represents an entity. It is a container for properties (member variables) and functions that can be performed on the entity.

there is no restriction as such for when u define a function and when u use a class, it depends on your choice :)...

Ok. I am trying to learn oop a little better, so I may go that route. Are there any major performance issues? From my point of view, it seems weird using a class to do many things on many variables. To me it seems like it should be a class for each link...which is ridiculous. Is there any downfall of using a class frequently like a function?

Todd

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.