<td rowspan='3' width='100'>

</td>
            <td align='center'><b>Strength</b></td>
            <td align='center'><b>Defense</b></td>
            <td align='center'><b>Speed</b></td>
            <td rowspan='3' width='10'>

</td>

<tr>
            <td align='center'><input type='text' name='energy_str' value='0' size='5' maxlength='5'></td>
            <td align='center'><input type='text' name='energy_def' value='0' size='5' maxlength='5'></td>
            <td align='center'><input type='text' name='energy_spd' value='0' size='5' maxlength='5'></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td align='center'><input type='submit' name='full_strength' value='All Strength'></td>
            <td align='center'><input type='submit' name='full_defense' value='All Defense'></td>
            <td align='center'><input type='submit' name='full_speed' value='All Speed'></td>

</tr>
        <tr>
            <td colspan='7' align='center'><input type='submit' name='train' value='Train'></td>
        </tr>
    </table>
</form>

now i know how to retrieve the buttons using POST[`xxxx`] etc... but i dont know how to retrieve the values from the text boxes and train button.

so if someone could just give me a quick hand??

thanks

i know this is the Html section but Im a little confused on how to use the value...

like for the buttons this is the code I used...

if ($_POST['full_strength'])
{

$query = $db->execute("update `players` set `energy`=?, `awake`=?, `strength`=?, `total`=? where `id`=?", array($player->energy - $player->energy, $player->awake - $awakeloss, $player->strength + $statgain, $player->total + $statgain, $player->id ));

if ($statgain >= 1){
echo "You trained <?= $player->energy ?> times and gained " . number_format($statgain, 2, ".", ",") . " Strength!!";
}
}
?>

basically the buttons make a value in database return to 0...

whereas the textbox will only take away 'x' amount.

I dont exactly know what you are trying to do with the last post, but as a beginner I would think you would want to understand your code before you get into something that complex.

As far as the post before that, you will just have to refer to them by the name that you gave them on the form (energy_str, energy_def, energy_spd).

if the user enters a name in a textbox and hits submit it then "posts" the data. The page that you "posted" to now has that data and can access it by doing "$_POST['name']"(or whatever the name was for the textbox). You can also set that to a variable like so:

$name = $_POST['name'];

Then all you would have to do is echo $name. A simple example would be this:

index.html

<html>
<title>Form</title>
<body>

<form method="post" action="post.php">
Name:
<input type="text" name="name">
<input type="submit" value="post">
</form>

</body>
</html>

then post.php

<?php

$name = $_POST['name'];

echo $name;

?>

If you copy the code from thsoe two files into the appropriate files and put them on the webserver you will see what I mean if you go to index.html and type in your name and hit submit. I dont think it gets any clearer than that.

not sure if this helps but i think it should be like this:

if ($statgain >= 1){
echo 'You trained "$player->energy" times and gained ' . number_format($statgain, 2, ".", ",") . " Strength!!";
}

haven't tested it but i think that's correct - i'm a bit of a newb too though so beware!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.