how to disable page refresh ???

seany123

that cant be right, i mean banks stop you from refreshing a page or going back all the time, surly thats not just client based?

blueman378,

how can a server based programming language control the browser.

so is it client based?

Ideally, you do not want to disable refresh using javascript because people can always disable javascript in their browser and some browser just simply don't have javascript support, and your application could wind up being exploited, especially if you are using post data or sending information to a database.

A better solution would be to redirect to another page that would make no difference if it were refreshed

You can't stop the user from refreshing the page with php.  It has to be done with javascript.  What you can do is start a session and use a session var to track whether the user has gone to the page or not.  User goes to page, session starts, var is set to 1 or true or whatever.  User refreshes, new request sent to server, server checks for var.  var exists, so display something different.

I think when the op refers to "banks can do it" he means, when you're going through a "step" situation , like a transaction. What happens is that the server side (session) maintains a record of the last state you were in (i.e. step 3) , and on going "back" in the browser, or "refreshing" the server asks what step the last one was (from session info), and decides upon logic depending on that.

You can't disable a persons browser capabalities. And even if you could I wouldn't recommend it as you're interfering with a common user interface (making your site less usable).

Describe to us what your problem is and why you want to faciliate this. Is your problem regarding "double posting" of information? i.e. they fill in a form, post to another page, and then refresh that page (asking for re-post) ?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.