[SOLVED] Removing a selectbox option

therealwesfoster

Ok, here's the idea. There is a selectbox on the page with all 50 states listed. I'm wanting to remove all the states in the selectbox EXCEPT for the ones I have listed in the keepStates array.

Below is my code. I can't get this to work! Either nothing happens or I get a "obj.remove() is not a function" error.

<script type="text/javascript">
// This is a simple function to check if a value is in an array
Array.prototype.inArray=function(value){var i;for(i=0;i<this.length;i++){if (this[i] == value){return true;}}return false;};

// This is the selectbox object
var obj = document.getElementById("selbox");

// Keep: CA, DC, CO, FL, GA, IA, MO, MN, NC, NV, NH, NM, OH, OR, SC, VA, WL
var keepStates = new Array('New Mexico','North Carolina','Ohio','Oregon','South Carolina','Virginia');

for(var i=0;i<obj.length;i++){
if (!keepStates.inArray(obj[i].innerHTML)){
	// Ok, so the value of the selectbox isn't in the array of states we want to keep, so remove it
	obj.remove(i);
}
}
</script>

This does not work. Please help!

Wes

Fixed:

Array.prototype.inArray=function(value){var i;for(i=0;i<this.length;i++){if (this[i] == value){return true;}}return false;};

var keepStates = ['New Mexico','North Carolina','Ohio','Oregon','South Carolina','Virginia'];

// Ok, so the value of the selectbox isn't in the array of states we want to keep, so remove it
      obj.remove(i);
   }
}

I'm doing this as a 1ShoppingCart modification. On the cart page there is a dropdown list of states, but since the product being sold (wine) is limited to where it can be shipped, we're wanting to eliminate some of the state in the dropdown.

The script above works in a way. It leaves all the states that it's supposed to leave, but not all of the other states get removed. Just every other one, or every other 2 ones. Does remove() reset the dropdown's index? If so, this could be the problem (because var i is always incrementing)

Wes

Fixed:

var keepStates = ['New Mexico','North Carolina','Ohio','Oregon','South Carolina','Virginia'];

obj.remove(i);
   }
}

That removes the whole object, not just the option

Wes

FIXED IT!

I put i--; in my for loop, this fixed it somehow.

Final Code:

obj.remove(i);

// THE FIX
      i--;
   }
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.