My First Website...

Gem

Hi all ...

I have nearly completed my first webpage ... was wondering if you would take a look at let me know what you think ...

www.bradleystokejudoclub.co.uk/newindex.php

Things to bear in mind ...

I had to add a page loading script because I am running a SQL query and it made the site slooooow ...

The query is the Latest News section, it displays the newst 5 entries from my database which is currently filled with test data...

Only this page is live at the moment .... so the navigation doesnt work yet

The page isnt completed yet (depending on when you are looking at this post ..) I still have to write more content to fill the white space (training times will go there)

Be mean ... its ok, I've got thick skin ... :)

Thanks xxx

You can go a little wider if you want. Most modern deigns are average of 960 pixels wide. That's not a negative remark, just a suggestion.

<BR> in xhtml is <br />

The simple query shouldn't be slowing down the page? Hmmm?

It's a little "brightly colored" for me, but one of the most important things is to have an easy to navigate site and I think you're on that track. Just make sure you do a little mouse-over effect for the navigation items so users know what is a link and what is plain text. As you said, it's not done yet, so maybe you plan to add that.

not bad.

Thats great guys .. thanks a million

I cant actually make it wider at the moment because I've used a lot of images and it messes it up if I try to change the size now ... I originally did it that size so it would fit nicely on a 800x600 res ?! Fair comment though

Also I cant help the colors because blue and yellow are my club colors ...

as opposed to our old website ....

www.bradleystokejudoclub.uk (click the link for the old site)

Thanks again, I appreciate your comments - I will defo get a mouseover effect for the navi bar =)

XXXX

As its your first website attempt I would say you have done well. Probably better than my first attempt.

Maybe its all the javascript you have that is making it take ages to load? You might want to think about a pure css navigation in future designs because they are much more simple and can look great. Simplicity is sometimes best.

Also am I right in saying that the guy on the left of the image has been cut and pasted into that image?

For colour selection here is a great site that you just type in the hex value of the colour and it gives you good combinations that work well with it. It might be better to use some white amoungst the blue and yellow to break it up a bit, or use different shades of the colours, or maybe a lighter blue. I understand that you needed to use those colours though because its the club colours. One last thing about the title, maybe try just using <h1> instead of an image and then you dont get the jagged edge on the text. Heres the colour site anyway:

http://www.colorsontheweb.com/colorwizard.asp#wizard

pretty good layout of your elements. ultimately, the LAYOUT of the site isn't bad at all. Having said that, your style could use a lot of work. Don't know if you use CSS, but if you don't I recommend you do, and if you do, I recommend you change your colors. First, I'd start with making it more streamline - probably by making the background area black, and adding light, gray-ish borders around your layout elements. After that, I'd make the font a little small in areas and easier to read. Also, I'd change the colors of them, too - probably make the main font a light-gray, and making the headings yellow and/or blue. I'd change your banner/logo, and maybe drop the yellow boxes containing the headings of your elements (IE: Navigate the Site) - perhaps just use a large blue or yellow font for them, and add an underline to the text (probably float text to left though - not centered). Also change your general headings to float left. I'd change your menu to match the rest of the site better, too. You may have over done it with the boxes. Simple links would probably look much better. The last thing I'd probably change is the blurry image (i'm assuming of the judo team). I'd take a clearer one, and optimize it with photoshop if possible.

PS: I like the gray-ish gradients you used for the side menus. It would go really well with what I said above.

Oh, and one more thing. The site takes a REALLY long time to load (much, much, much too long for a site as simple as that one). I don't know what you did, but something is really bogging it down (I presume it's a coding problem - or perhaps you have a HUGE image in there somewhere behind the site...).

Try validating your HTML, and if you use it, your CSS, too. I didn't bother to, but I'm guessing you'll find some errors if you hadn't already.

-- sorry if I went a little over the top. I haven't done a site design in a while, so I'm just a little antsy.  :-\

Oh, just read your post, and the other posts. The guy a few posts above me is right. A MySQL query shouldn't slow your site down at all (in fact, it was designed to be really fast). If it is slowing it down, it's probably coded wrong. My guess is you have an unnecessary, perhaps accidental infinite-loop in there somehow (php error, not mysql). Maybe post your code in the PHP help section for help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.