Call to undefined function.

bigboss

Hello, I am writing a validate function that works by passing the post value, the type of field and if the field is required. In my register page I call the function like:

<?php
validate($_POST['username'],'username',1);
?>

The function is stored in a separate functions page in a functions directory. The code for the function is as folllows:

<?php 
function validate($post_value,$field_type,$required){
if(isset($_POST[$post_value]) && (!empty($post_value)) || !$required){

}else{

}
?>

I have included the functions page with

<?php
include 'functions/functions.php';
?>

But yet when I debug or run the code it seems as if my code can't see the function even though it enters the functions.php file. Have you guys got any ideas why this would be happening?

The include statement is above the call to the function. The whole structure of the register page is:

<?php
include 'config.php';
include 'functions/functions.php';
if(isset($_POST)){

} else {

}
?>

Also all errors are reporting.

Your function is wrong anyway.

It should read.

function validate($post_value,$field_type,$required)
{
if(isset($post_value) && !empty(trim($post_value)) || !$required)
        {

}
        else
        {

}
}

This might in turn fix the problem so worth a try :).

Personally, I would create a Validate Class which consists of the different validations for various types, Such as integers, strings, email fields, etc.. rather than having one function to deal with all validation types. That's just my opinion.

I would like to have a validation class, but the only OOP experience I've had in the past is Java. I'm not sure how PHP implements polymorphism, inheritance and encapsulation. This project is only for a small website and it is easier for me to code a small function that to learn OOP rules in PHP and then code a class.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.