Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scottchr

PHP hyperlink

I've been trying to figure this out for the last 2+ hours and I'm getting desperate.  Can someone please help me?

I'm trying to show PHP/MYSQL data on a page.  One of my fields (webpage) contains URL information.  What I need to do is IF the field is empty in the database I want it to just show a blank space but if the field is NOT empty I want it to show a hyperlink using the data from the database.  I tried about every variation of the code below that I can think of:

if ($row_staffbydepartment['webpage']; == "";)
{echo "Website";}
else
{echo "<a href="<?php echo $row_staffbydepartment['webpage']; ?>">Website</a>";}?>

but it didn't work.  Can anyone offer a suggestion?

try this (you're already within PHP tags when echoing the link):

[code]if ($row_staffbydepartment['webpage'] == '')
{
echo 'Website';
}
else
{
echo "<a href=\"{$row_staffbydepartment['webpage']}\">Website</a>";
}
?>[/code]

you need to escape double quotes when echoing/defining strings that are delimited (surrounded) by double quotes, otherwise PHP thinks you're exiting the echo/definition.  second, only statements that are on a line need to have a semicolon.

THANKS!  It your code worked perfectly.

I know ASP.net but I'm trying to teach myself PHP.  Thanks for the syntax help.  I REALLY appreciate it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.