[SOLVED] Need validation help

Eiolon

I'm not a designer so I am having trouble understanding the errors.  I'm looking for someone to translate for me.  I'm trying to validate with XHTML 1.0 Strict. Thanks!

Line 15, Column 18: document type does not allow element "ul" here; missing one of "object", "ins", "del", "map", "button" start-tag.

<ul class="menu">

The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline element (such as "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>").

and

Line 22, Column 18: document type does not allow element "ul" here; missing one of "object", "ins", "del", "map", "button" start-tag.

<ul class="menu">

The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline element (such as "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>").

Here is my menu file where the code in question is located:

<div id="menu">
<div style="float:left">
<span class="menu">
	<ul class="menu">
		<li><a href="../index.php" title="Home">Home</a></li>
	</ul>
</span>
</div> 
<div style="float:right">
<span class="menu">
	<ul class="menu">
		<?php if (isset($_SESSION['id'])) {
			echo '<li><a href="../logout.php" title="Logout">Logout</a></li>';
		} else {
			echo '<li><a href="../login.php" title="Login">Login</a></li>';
		} ?>
	</ul>
</span>
</div>
<div style="clear:both"></div>
</div>

I'm thinking that you can't wrap the <ul> in the span tags. I could be wrong, but try removing the span that is containing the <ul>. You shouldn't need it anyways - if you need to change anything, you can target the <ul> tag directly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.